Steven Seagal training Anderson Silva. Really?

Steven Seagal is apparently helping Anderson Silva prepare for his fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 117.

It’s hard for me to wrap my head around this. Does Anderson really need help from this guy? I know he’s a great aikido player but is that going to help in the octagon?

Link (safe for work - has sound).

If Silva tries any of that shit in the Octagon, he’s going to look even more foolish than he did in his last fight.

Maybe he needs help with his pre-fight one-liners.

“I’m going to take you to the bank, Chael Sonnen… the blood bank.”

No offense to Seagal, but Anderson Silva needs Steven Seagal’s help like a fish needs a bicycle, or more accurately, like a fish that already has a bicycle needs a bicycle.

I like Chael Sonnen. I think he’s a good fighter but I don’t think he has a chance in Hell to win this fight. He does however (starting at 2:16). He calls Silva a fraud.

Thanks for that. I’m having a shitty day and this made me laugh.

I suspect this is a PR thing. Seagal gets his name in the papers, Silva gets a bit more media attention. Both of them have something to gain from this, assuming Silva wins. Whether there’s any actual training going on…probably about as much as there is actual police work going on when Steven Seagal is riding around as a ‘Lawman’.