Stock spam

What’s the deal? Are they searching for addresses, sending viruses or trying to up the valuse of some POS stock?

Pump-and-dump, usually. They’ll buy some of it, send the spam, hope it rises quickly and they can get out. Usually with penny stocks and other low-cost investements. If you can get a five-cent/share stock up to twenty-cents/share, however briefly, that’s a 400% return.

It’s also highly illegal, of course.

Pump and dump. Some scumbag in Vancouver buys (owns) a bunch of shares in some Pink Sheet/BB company, gives a few thousand in cash or shares to a scumbag spammer, 1 out of 1000 spam recipients believes the hype, stock goes from 30 cents to 90 cents (for a brief while), scammers cash out, having tripled their money.

While the “investment recommendations” taken alone might well fall within the safe harbors of the securities laws (which allow you given certain disclaimers to make ridiculous quasi-technical “predictions” or “target prices” of the stock increasing ten fold), the spam should, I think, render them illegal (using an illegal method to promote, viz., violating CAN-SPAM). Market manipulation is also a separate offense.

I’ve sometimes gone after stock spammers pretty hard, because the additional element of the securities law exposure raises the stakes for them (and for the companies). If the company whose stock is being pumped and dumped is truly innocent, they will sometimes cooperate (within the limits of a Pink Sheet company) with your efforts to track the spammers, because they don’t want to be implicated (I will pretty much call their CEO and tell him that). Also, all stock sales are recorded, so if the company or the SEC were willing to look into this (and so far I’ve seen no evidence the SEC is that aggressive), they could find a paper trail of who traded after the pump and before the dump.

So we should forward this stuff to you? :slight_smile: