Stop delivering fucking Phone Books!

Yo, whatever-agency-is-doing-this: I don’t need another fucking phone book. Thanks, but fucking TEN Yellow Pages is quite enough. I don’t ask for these giant paper-wasting tomes, and I don’t need fucking TEN of them. Actually, I don’t need ANY of them, seeing as how I use my handy-dandy Intarweb Device for that sort of thing.

This week I got three. Three more. THREE MORE FUCKING FIVE POUND YELLOW PAGES!!! They go directly into the recycle bin - can we cut out the middle man here?

FUCK!!

Word.

When I read the title, I was really hoping it would be a completely absurd number of phonebooks, just truckloads of phone books piling onto the poster’s lawn.

Ten, however, is still way too goddamn many.

We’re sorry for the error, sir, and will be happy to deliver the requested ten phone books to your home tomorrow.

That’s what I came here to say. When we moved out of our house we must’ve recycled about a dozen of 'em. Anyone even use phone books anymore?

I do. But I don’t need them from four different companies. I keep the best one (Dex, for any who might care), and toss the rest as soon as they hit my door.

Is there a “Do Not Deliver Phone Books” list, akin to the “Do Not Call” list?

And while we’re at it, how about a “No Junk Mail” list?!

I did, once. My toilet overflowed. Didn’t have any rags handy, so I ripped the covers off three hefty phone books and plopped the soft, thick inner books on the bathroom floor. The pages sopped the water right up.

Try the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail Preference Service.

I don’t think I’ve used one more than maybe twice in the last 5 or 6 years, but I don’t want them to stop delivering them because then I won’t have anything quite so nifty to rip apart with my bare hands to impress hot chicks with at the bar. Every lady loves her a man who can tear a phone book in half. :wink:

I’m the opposite - I had to steal someone else’s phone book because the phone company refused to deliver me one, and wouldn’t tell me where I could go pick one up.

If you lived near me, I totally would have taken one or two of your ten off your hands. :slight_smile:

~Tasha

TEN? Seriously, that’s crazy. Are they from different companies, at least?

I love having a phone book around. The more the better, as once one is used by my wife or I, the next is needed as the previous one is instantly lost until the next one is delivered. It’s some sort of weird Twilight Zone deal. I’ll never understand it.

Call me old or old school, it’s a lot easier to grab the thing to look up an addy or number than searching for it online. Get a stopwatch and time me to anyone that wants to search for it, and I’ll win. Of course, this counts for local stuff. If we’re talking about a number out of state, I’ll still tend to use 411.

It’s a clash of generations. It’s what you’re used to. 50 years from now, when us dinosaurs are making your oil, phone books may not exist. But I’d lay money that they will. People like a tactile medium. They’ll always want a phone book around. (Not “phonebook” as in what your cell terms it.)

10 is excessive. Sounds like 10 companies are trying to gain market share. Take the extras and recycle them at a place that pays for phone books and newspapers. Hell, even up here where there are 2 battling it out (including Dex), they pay for the unwanteds, an extra on the doorstep isn’t a big deal.

BTW, we have an unlisted number and use Vonage. There is no other reason for a phone book to be delivered here other than the place physically exists. No worries. Drop a bunch off. They include the menus of most restaurants.

Much easier to throw the thing in a desk drawer for reference than to organize an assload of “flyer” menus from the area restaurants.

But nothing quite matches the unadulterated joy of grabbing the phone book and jumping up and down while giving a Naben like scream: “The new phone book’s here! The new phone book’s here!” (Yes, I actually do this)
On a note that I am sure is unrelated, my wife has started introducing herself to the neighbors as single. Weird, huh?.

Us, too. It’s amazing how I may know we have at least five or six phone books somewhere in the house, but not a one can be found when needed – or, if one turns up, it’s several years old and completely out of date.

There is a solution, however – move. Last year when we moved out of the house we’d lived in for four years, it was truly astonishing how many phone books came out of hiding. I think they live in the space warp with the lost socks.

I don’t think I’ve used a phone book more than once in the last few years. I usually stack them in the bottom of the coat closet and toss them out once a year.

Completely agree.

In addition, the last few times I did use a phone book, the number I was looking for was not even in the book. None of them were unlisted numbers. Some were businesses, some were people. Seemed pretty bizarre to me.

Mine go straight from the front porch where they’re delivered to the recycle bin without even getting removed from the bag in which they were delivered.

Ditto.

I use the phone book. One of the legs on my bed borked and the phone book is exactly the right height.