Stop fucking calling me with your issues!

Political issues, that is.

Here in California it’s primary election season. This year everyone has decided it would be a good idea to call every goddamn voter 8 times a day and shout their propaganda at high speed. When I got home from work today my answering machine was full of this shit.

Guess what, political tacticians? It ain’t working. I deleted all those little soundbites and now I don’t know or care what the fuck they said. If you keep it up, you may succeed in having a negative effect wherein I vote against whatever it is because you pissed me off too much. Stick to the traditional attack ads and junk mail so I can ignore it and read the damn ballot in peace.

Dang. I’m in California and haven’t had a single politician call me.

I feel left out. :frowning:

Isn’t this type of calling covered by the same do-not-call law about telemarketers? If so, sighn up quick.

I’d get pissed if @!#?@! politicians were eating up my message space with their drivel.

No, it is not. In fact, it is specifically exempted from the Do Not Call legislation:

You didn’t really expect politicains to gore their own ox now did you?

It is definitely having a negative effext on me. I’ve started keeping a list of who calls. If I don’t feel strongly about the race, the ones who called are the ones I vote against.

I hear you. Our house has 1 registered Democrat, 1 registered Republican, and 2 decline-to-states. We got calls all week long. We set the answering machine to answer on 3 rings and record silently. There’s nothing like having 6 messages of half a political spiel when I come home from work.

I don’t know what all the complaining is about. Magic Johnson himself left me a message earlier today extolling the virtues of Rocky Delgadillo and detailing how he will make a fine Attorney General for our great state.

MAGIC JOHNSON, people! :rolleyes:

Man, the vibe in your house had to be UGLY after the 2004 election!

If it is prerecorded, it isn’t supposed to talk if you answer- it’s supposed to hang up. They would rather leave it on your machine, just to spite you.

No shit! For about the last week we’ve been getting at least six stupid calls per day. Last one I answered started like this “Hi, this is Billy Crystal…please don’t hang up…blather, blather, rinse & repeat”. Of course that’s paraphrasing.

Anyway, yesterday whenever the phone rang, I picked it up and promptly hung up without even raising it to my ear. I’ve had 3 messages/day on the machine…delete…delete…delete.

Fools must not know that I’m a permanent mail-in voter and had sent my ballot in weeks ago.

I’m pretty sure the Do Not Call list doesn’t apply to these solicitations. I’ve been registered since the thing came out. Thank God it’s Election Day and these annoying calls will stop. Now if they were hitting my CELL, I’d be bitching at someone, anyone, for this huge imposition.

Yeah I’m not entirely sure how the system works, but I’ve been working for some of my professors that are campaign managers for a few different campaigns. According to them, the system is supposed to be able to ID whether a person or a voice mail picks up and, if it is a person, it’s supposed to hang up. They know that no one wants to hear their bull :slight_smile:

I’ve personally been getting between 5-10 hang up calls a day, both at home and at work over the last few weeks.

What I really hate is when they call before 10am on a weekend. Some of us are trying to catch up on the sleep we don’t manage to get during the week…

I live in the 50th Congressional District in California. Our previous representative was Randy “Duke” Cunningham (currently residing in a federal lockup). The district has traditionally voted Republican but because of the Dukester Scandal the Democratic candidate to fill his unfinished term actually has a shot this time. Huge amounts of money are being spent on this one tiny race to fill out a six month term. The national parties are heavily involved and the attack ads are flying left and right. We have been getting these calls for weeks. They brought in the big guns for the finish. In the last week I have received prerecorded calls from John McCain (twice), Dick Cheney, Bill Clinton, Jerry Brown (twice), Laura Bush and MoveOn.org, plus a whole bunch of calls I hung up on before I found out who they were. And there is no end in sight because today we are not only voting to fill out Duke’s term (which ends in January) but we are also voting in the primary for the regular congressional election in the Fall. It is the never-ending campaign…

Hey, Billy Crystal? That would at least be sort of cool. Here we just get the recorded voices of state politicians. Hey, guess what, Madam Governor? SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH YOU BITCH I’LL KILL YOU I’LL KILL YOU I’LL KILL YOU

:: deep cleansing breaths ::

I mean, I got nothing against the governor - voted for her once and will do so again - but her voice is a good deal less exciting on an answering machine than Billy Crystal’s.

I got 8 goddamn messages on my machine yesterday. 8! One of them was even from the esteemed Mr. Crystal. I didn’t even listen to them though, just deletedeletedelete after a few seconds to make sure it wasn’t a real message. There were several of the form “Mary Hayashi is an evil subversive commie bitch”. I hadn’t heard of her before, but after that and reading the ballot statement I voted for her.