Stop the idiot English-mangler madness!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You have wont the title of:
“Grammarian”, clicl the link to claim your prize!!

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame31.html

I once lived in a not-so-nice neighborhood. One morning I came outside to find that someone had finger-painted the dirty back window of my car with the word “HOE”.

Well, that wasn’t the result of the study that this woman did.

Anyway, you needn’t fear for the integrity of the tongue :rolleyes:, it’s not like these people are writing business documents, “And Mr. Smith was all like, ‘We’d like to order a thousand units…’”

Hometownboy, you left off the period at the end of your last sentence. But, don’t worry. Around here, that happens alot.

:smiley:

I can’t remember now which gay comedian said that you knew you lived in a town with a sad school system when you had to correct the spelling of “fagot” spraypainted on your garage…

[sub]Sorry, I couldn’t resist.[/sub]

I quote paraphrases, too, to indicate something that was spoken when I cannot recall exactly what was said. :slight_smile:

Makes me wanna get butt naked

Whoops, my bad. I got it right when i took the test (and have the diploma to prove it :)), and then stuffed up when i posted the answers here.

Apologies.

coosa, a fair proportion of your “corrections” were unnecessary. Hometownboy clearly indicated where he was missing letters by using apostrophes, which is perfectly acceptable in an informal forum such as this. And the “Omigod” is a quotation, written to indicate the way it is spoken. Within quotations, I’d say pretty much anything is fair game.

The only genuine corrections are “pencil-necked” and putting “said” in quotation marks. The missing “o” at the front of “or” is clearly just a typo.

Note that this is not an attempt to correct anyone’s gramma. I therefore declare Gaudere void.

pan

Alright - he wrote “honeychile” too. But there was a good reason for that - “honeychild” would have simply not given the desired effect. I’ll grant you that strictly “honeychil’” may have been the correct version, but frankly I just don’t care.

pan

I’m going to bust you on this one, hometownboy, only because you said you work at a small (weekly?) newspaper. Therefore, you should know better. You’re going to throw in, at absolutely no extra cost, a free link to a site containing MORE THAN 400 synonyms for said.

Over means “above.” I believe you meant to imply more than, not above. And AP Style dictates that 400 should not be spelled out.

Long Live Gaudere

Jayjay, if you ever do remember which gay comedian said that, could you let us know? If the rest of his/her material is that good, I’d love to hear more.

Thanks.

Sorry for a hijack, I just wanted to throw out a quick “Fuck you” to CanvasShoes:

<ahem>

Fuck you, CanvasShoes.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled grammar rant.

Thank you Miller. I was just picking my jaw up off the floor to say a hearty Fuck You to CanvasShoes. What a disgusting comparison to make.

I got 100% on that test BTW. The nauseating/nauseous distinction IMO is passing into history and soon won’t matter a hill of beans.

When I was going to school in Phoenix AZ I saw a lot of grafitti complaining about “nigers”.

We had a birdfeeder hanging out front filled with niger seed to attract goldfinches. Those birds love it. Mentioned it to some friends via e-mail, and one actually told me to be careful about using such racist words.

I hope he was kidding.

Maybe he was just being niggardly with his tendancy for relying on good impressions… you know, to be on the safe side?

The substance suggests this should be in MPSMIS, but the style is clearly Pitiful.

You do realize that unlike French, the evolutionary forces shaping most languages aren’t controlled by dictionaries, academicians or newspaper editors but society at large.

If a particular usage gathers enough popularity, that becomes the new idiom. If it doesn’t, it dies or gets used in special contexts.

So, stop screwing with those who are, like, screwing the language. Damn, I spilled some ice tea. Should stop drinking it alot.

Probably the same authors as the eternal declarations “I love you sweatheart” and “Satin rules!”.