Stories where stalking actually works

There’s some '60s movie where a guy sings a whole song about how overjoyed he is just to be on the pavement outside of some girl’s apartment. It’s creepy as hell, really.

Doesn’t count for the thread, though; she ditches him and winds up shacking up with some other old geezer. Probably just wants his money.

Is it any wonder there are so many genuine stalkers when fiction promotes it as the right and successful thing to do?

An episode of Cheers used “stalking” to describe Fraiser’s early (and successful) pursuit of Lilith.

‘Notes on a Scandal’ (the novel, rather than the movie); Barbara doesn’t stalk from secrecy, but she manipulates her way into Sheba’s life, ending up right where she wants to be.

My Fair Lady? “The Street Where You Live”?

I agree. Who the hell greenlighted a project with the pitch “It’s the ‘Rape of the Sabine Women’, but with singing and dancing!”?

I place the blame squarely on the head of Nora Ephron.

Stranger

Like when Borat went for Pamela Anderson! :slight_smile:

Would it qualify, in your opinion? (Though I’m a huge Frasier fan, I haven’t seen all that much Cheers, so I’m a bit spotty on how Frasier/Lilith got together.)

Speaking of Frasier and Lilith, on Frasier his threatening to jump off a building after she cheated on him has come up on “Frasier” a few times. Not exactly stalkerish but I suppose it qualifies as unstable romantic behavior…

Yes. It doesn’t strictly count for this thread, since Eliza doesn’t end up with Freddy, but it seems to be intended as romantic. Read the lyrics, though, very stalkerish.

How about Addicted to Love? That has Meg Ryan and Matthew Broderick playing two people who turn out to stalking a couple and plotted to break them up.

Come to think of it, there was a Seinfeld where Jerry and Elaine were lurking over some couple waiting for a breakup.

How about the How I Met Your Mother episode where Ted paid a neighbor to let him know if a girl he was interested in broke up with her boyfriend.

Of course, the ultimate stalker is Rose on Two and a Half Men.

I agree that, looked at objectively, it is stalkerish. I’m reluctant to admit that, though, since I’ve DONE that a couple of times. (Not the singing…the “‘happen’ to be walking in the neighborhood my crush lives in”.)

I came in to vote for “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”. I loved that movie as a kid, and it wasn’t until I had kids of my own that the full psycho-ness of it struck me. Prime example of how our societal views change over a few decades.

The Prime Minister of Canada!?

Twilight.

I came here to post about “Addicted to Love” except of course:

The stalkers don’t get the objects of their obsession in the end.

But damn, those are one pair of unhappy, obsessed stalkers that Broderick and Ryan play. And “Holiday in Handcuffs” was severely hampered by the fact that I could not buy the notion that any character played by Melissa Joan Hart, who plays the woman who kidnaps a guy to be her boyfriend for the holidays, would ever do such an evil, psycho thing. She exudes “nice” too powerfully. Still, it did add believability to the fact that when the guy told Melissa’s parents that she had abducted him, they didn’t buy it for an instant.

Danny Tripp’s pursuit of Jordan McDeere on Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip definitely qualifies. Stalking is cool if you’re charming, glib, heartfelt, and bright.

Good book!

(But I only counted 6 types of ambiguity. I’m not sure if I’m entitled to get all my money back or just one 7th of it. It’s…puzzling)

In Runaway Bride, Richard Gere is ostensibly writing an article about Julia Roberts, but his behavior is creepy and invasive beyond the tenacity of a features writer even from a national magazine. He snoops and trespasses, he charms his way into learning all manner of deeply private things about her including sexual history details, he shows up every single place she’s meant to be, he even beats her to places where he predicts that she’s going to go. And of course, of course, she eventually ends up with Gere, in the most convoluted way possible. Ultimately, his stalking leads to the ultimate prize of a marriage to the woman who wouldn’t marry anybody.

Could someone define “stalking” for me? I think the definition is a whole lot broader than it used to be.