Stories where stalking actually works

Showing any romantic interest in someone. Geeze, didn’t ya get the memo?

I fell off the memo list a long time ago.

See Values Dissonance and Fair For Its Day.

Their depicted early meetings are actually pretty funny. Bebe Neuwirth first appeared as Lilith as a chilly blind date of Frasier’s and the occasion did not go well at all. They brought her back about six months later for an episode in which Lilith and Frasier appear together on some PBS-ish psychology debate show and the innuendos in their talking points are hysterical as they gradually and obviously succumb to mutual lust, hooking up (off camera) at the end of the episode.

Much later, four or five seasons I suspect, Lilith described a somewhat inconsistent version of their early courtship in which Fraiser caller her at all hours, parked down the street from her house, “essentially stalking me”.

Frasier: It worked, didn’t it?

Sorry, US Midwest, late 70s.

Not related to Canadian PM.

Weird and creepy true crime case. I met one of the detectives on the case. There is some stuff not on the TV ep, and not in the book either. (police techniques in ascertaining the scope of the poisoning, and the ‘stalkees’ perceptions of the stalker)

Does being too busy to actually stalk the person personally count? There’s a hell of a lot of romance novels out there where a powerful man decides he wants a woman for himself and when she gets pissed off at him for coming on too strong he sends lackeys to always keep track of her. Urban fantasy romance is especially full of this. It’s like every book is about some chick who hunts or kills supernatural things and a powerful client or target decides he wants her for himself and finds a way to keep tabs on her until she finally gives up and stays with him.

But in the original play by Shaw and the movie based on it, she probably does. Shaw’s notes to the play specifically say that she does not wind up with Professor Higgins.

The movie definitely implies that she and Higgins get together (which is ridiculous…the man’s as gay as an episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race staged at a bathhouse!). I thought that was an awful spoiling of Eliza’s maturation between “Just You Wait, 'Enry 'Iggins” and “Without You”.

Ah. I think I vaguely remember hearing about that debate show episode. I really need to go back and watch some “Cheers” episodes to get my Frasier and Lilith fix. Especially since I’ve watched most every episode of Frasier multiple times. (Not addicted, though, nosiree!)

The Graduate

Movie
“Every Girl Should Be Married” Cart Grant Betsy Drake. She stalks him in the movie; they get married in the movie AND in real life.
:smack:

Indie flick called ‘Good Dick’. The star is whassisbutt from ‘Three’s Company’'s son. He is a very charismatic actor. This is somewhat helpful in selling his character as a good guy, because his actions are beyond creepy.

That’s what tends to happen when people learn they can use reasonable laws in an unreasonable fashion to address petty grudges that they’re too cowardly to do anything about on their own. Which is why this thread keeps Ping-Pong-ing…

To be fair though, in Big Fish, the whole plot revolved around the main character telling his son all these fantastic stories, and his son thinking they were all a bunch of bullshit. Most of them turned out to be exaggerated.
And as always, The Onion has this covered.

SNL skit: “Stalk Talk,” with Christopher Walken.

John Cusack does some post-breakup stalking in High Fidelity…and wins the girl back.

Sugarbaby - 1980s German art film about an obese female morgue assistant who stalks and eventually romances a handsome subway conductor. It’s billed as a “comedy” but is creepy to the max.

Well I think it’s actually just what I call hyperbole creep*. “Stalking” started out as a specific term only applicable in extreme cases of romantic or other personal obsession manifesting in illegal or borderline illegal behaviour, and now at its loosest it seems just to mean unwanted romantic attention of any sort from someone who doesn’t give up the second they receive any discouragement at all.

*Which is as I’ve said before is my pet term for the way a word starts out meaning something specific and then people start to use it as hyperbole and it gradually loses its specific meaning as listeners come to learn it is just a term thrown around carelessly, and so some other term has to be invented to have the specific meaning in question, and so it goes.

And not even “unwanted”… some people would hear that a boy has taken a 500-yards detour to walk by the street where a classmate he likes lives, on the offchance he’ll happen to be able to see her and/or strike a conversation with her, and would file it under “stalking” - no questions about her own opinion asked.