Straight Dope secret sign........

Mmmmm…Trench Pie.

If you’re always in your bunk, how will you ever meet other Dopers?

There are plenty of creative ideas here, but you’re overthinking it. If you see someone you suspect is a Doper, give 'em a thumbs-up, point at them with both index fingers, and holler “Gotcha ya!”

:smiley: Love the thread. Keep 'em coming!

You know you’re truly a Doper when you read something like this, and immediately rehearse the gesture.

BTW, hi glee!

In a restaurant, have Cecil Adams paged. Watch for those who stand up and put their hands over their hearts.

How about tshirts with the word "NERD’ emblazoned across them? Cause that’s what we are. A bunch of damn nerds.

*mumbles tryin’ to come up with a sign to identify dopers…nerdy ass crap…

That being said, I like Sampiro’s idea. Also, I was never smart enough for nerdom, but I do accept this honorary nerd award for being a member of the straight dope.

Though I have no desire to minimize the opinions of handless Dopers… having just attempted this salute in the mirror, I think the most important objection is that it looks kind of gay. I feel that it could result in miscommunication and confused expectations, is all I’m saying. I would rather not wind up in another awkward situation like that time with the handkerchief.

Person one approaches person two with a picture of a cute pet (cat preferred).

If person two responds with “squeee!”, we have confirmed dopetitude.

Mangetout, that’s beautiful. I really do want a t-shirt like that now.

{Downloading like a motherfuck…}

One of these, perhaps.

Here’s a suggestion for a sign and countersign:

D1: “Excuse me, do you have 20 minutes?”
D2: “Only once…”

Personally, I’d react quicker – and believe I was in touch with a real Doper – if his or her first words were:

I burning your _____

to which any true Doper would have to say ____

and a non-Doper would respond with:

a) Do you mean to say you ARE burning
b) cigarette
c) sweater
d) candles
e) a wild stare and the onset of the flight or fight response

In a bar/cafe/restaurant or whatever:

Sign…“Well I’m off to the pit”

Countersign…Der Trihs?"

:cool:
What are you talking about? There is no Mafia!

While I may not have him paged, the next time I have to have a wait for a table, I will give them my name as Cecil Adams. I recommend other Dopers do this as well.

Sampiro was just trying to get us to vogue without knowing it. It’s part of the gay agenda … item 14 if I recall correctly.

Well don’t just stand there, let’s get to it.

Ah, you guys are going about this all wrong.
If you see an individual you think might be a Doper…

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Aw, you took mine. That, or running up to them and burning they dog.

You don’t have to do it, just yell it through the door on a regular basis. It’ll be like a bat signal.