Straight Dope Server(s)

Well, aside from TubaDiva’s hints about new features that didn’t pan out, we were never promised better service in exchange for paying for it. Except that I suspect a substantial number of people dropped, and except for a brief period, even that didn’t help matters any. I’m not sure what’s going on, but at tens of thousands of dollars revenue per year, it would be nice if they would be decent enough to buy something new at some point, given that pay-to-post has been in place for over two years and they’ve obviously made at least some money in that time.

I’m still confused over why a board that’s not all that big compared to many out there seems to be so incredibly difficult to run.

Man, it’s simply amazing that I’ve missed every one of these promises over the past seven years. I sure am unobservant! No problem, I’m sure you’ll come along and post links to all of the staff’s promises to this effect, right?

And yes, the board’s performance is much better these days.

I don’t know what it was like in '99, but it was certainly better for me than it is now. My usual maneuver now is to just click fifteen or twenty links to open in tabs and go make a cup of coffee or grab a smoke.

Certainly better for me when I joined back in '03 than it is now.

Back when I was a young Doper, it took minutes to load a thread. We’d regularly compose in Word or Wordpad, knowing that the chance was good as even that the hamsters would eat your post - there is a reason we call them hamsters and not something even a mite bit speedier. I think a lot of us got hooked on the Dope when it was so slow you could surf and still get work done.

We also walked uphill to school both ways…in the snow…barefoot. (We didn’t, but it did used to be a lot worse around here.)

I will add to this only that it has been much, much worse in the past. I remember (as I bet you do) the days of a solid hour or two each day when you just could not get a thread to load, the demand was that big.

I’ve also been reading the boards all day with few or no problems. First time i clicked the link to this thread, i got the “timed out” error message and had to retry. The SDMB servers have a well-developed sense of irony. :slight_smile:

I’ve said it before so I’ll say it again: It’s vBulletin. I was on another forum that ran the same software and had the same problems. The problem seems to be the search function. When it’s in use it sucks up CPU time like a castaway sucks up fresh water after a week adrift. When the search has completed, performance returns to normal.

Once said forum converted everything over to Invision, the problem went away.

Not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but:

In 2001:

In 2002:

In 2003:

In 2004:

In 2005:

And finally, in 2006:

To summarize:

2001:We’re trying, but we have no money to upgrade.
2002:Fix your own machine. Get rid of AOL. Other than that, we got nothin’.
2003:Well, we did just get a new server, but I guess it’s not helping as much as we thought. We can’t do anything else, so STFU.
2004:blah blah blah the server … blah blah blah traffic … blah blah blah subscriptions … blah blah blah more traffic than we thought
2005:Server capacity! We’re looking at it.
2006:Finite resources! We’re trying to offload archives! We’re trying to improve server! Be patient!

Five years of patient.

Well it definitely sucks at times. Which wouldn’t be so bad if we weren’t PAYING for it. How many simultaneous users are on these boards? Is the traffic on this message board so much higher than other popular (but fast) boards?

I hate to give the admins ideas or anything, but this is the only board I know of that archives all posts. Most of them clear out threads older than a year or so. That makes the database much smaller, and I’d bet anything that it’s the database that’s the bottleneck.

I think they’re trying to do that…take the older threads off this server and put them in an archived (viewable, but not postable) format. It’s been mentioned a few times and the archive is online now, I believe, but I don’t think it’s played up since there’s still work being done on it.

I sure do remember; I think even in this discussion, I was blocking out just how bad it used to be.

And back then, the Dope was really the only place I wanted to be online. That’s changed considerably.

Garfield 226 - Posting #29

A carload of kudos for that tremendous research !!! :slight_smile:

In another posting you mentioned the SDMB folks were archiving threads:

So, maybe we’ll see TubaDiva posting something like this?

2009: Yes, we’ve really been trying to build a thread archive but the work is much more time-consuming than we thought. So, the boards remain slow because of this as well as increased Internet traffic, hackers, increased solar activity, cosmic rays, impish demonic humanoids from the netherworld, …

I figured this was the best place for my query since I’m like this whenever the SD forums decide to take a powder. :slight_smile:

Not in the pit, maybe, but there are frequent threads in ATMB and it’s a routine enough complaint/query that management has seen fit to put a sticky there addressing the issue. I’d say that speaks volumes too.

I used to spend eight hours a day in my school computer lab doing not a lot more than posting here. Sometimes it took more’n a little to get one post through. A lot of "page not found"s and timeouts and such. That was six years ago, and while performance is certainly better, I can’t help but wonder.

(That second paragraph of yours, boy. Y’ain’t preaching to a heathen here:) Back in the day, there was e-mail, espn and this place. Now…)

And, in perfect timing, I got a timeout trying to post this. But then, it’s the middle of the day in the US, so that’s hardly surprising.

Garfield226 pretty much makes my point. You want to bitch about it being slow, fine, but don’t claim that TPTB promised a fix and then failed to come through.

No one (but you) has claimed any sort of “promise.” What wolf_meister et. al. said was that the folks in charge have said, basically, “we know there is a problem and we’re doing what we can” for at least five years, implying that they expected it to get better. This is apparent in at least the last two quotes I posted: “It’s being looked at” and “It’s happening slowly, but it is happening.”

FWIW, I don’t have that many problems with board timeouts and speed, and it has, indeed, gotten a lot better than it was in the past.

Troy McClure

Well, geez - where in any of my posts did it state these were official SDMB™ announcements, promises, policies, etc?
Even when I stated:

that’s just offering my opinion which I think would have been shared by everyone. Unless, all the SDMB membership were hoping “geez with all this increased revenue, the board performance is going to get really shitty”.
You seem to be quite eager to defend the way this board is run. In school, did you remind the teacher to assign homework? :slight_smile:
I think the thread topic isn’t the most vital concern of the moment and I think you are taking this topic much too seriously.
(Hey wait a minute - you are Cecil aren’t you? I knew it!!!)