Strange numeric coincidences that should occur only rarely

We’ve found a few numeric coincidences that shouldn’t be. For example hex and binary are the most used bases in a computer. Hex 80 is the number of years to skip a leap year instead of 4 and 100. 128 fits much better than our current system. There are many simple patterns in the beginning of Pi. A few with long/lat converting to miles or feet. These should happen like one in a million. But it seems to be much more often. Can you think of another example of nice round numbers that shouldn’t be?

Negative 40 degrees Fahrenheit is the same as negative 40 degrees Celcius. Is that what you mean?

Another example is my best friends phone number. 5/pi-pi/5 is symmetric even. How can this happen?

That is simple to explain as the formula has 9 and 5 and 32 in it?

All scales overlap at some point. For example, take any map covering the area where you live and place it on your kitchen table. No matter what scale or orientation, there will be a point on the map that is placed exactly on the corresponding point on the table surface.

Maths was never my strength!

I’m not sure you’ve even listed any coincidences at all, much less remarkable ones. So what if a number comes out to 80 in hexidecimal? It’s got to come out to something; what makes 80 seem so special? Is it just that, in binary, it’s a round number (that is to say, a power of 2)? For numbers of that scale, over six percent of all numbers are powers of two-- That’s hardly “one chance in billions”, and I’m sure there are plenty of other numbers you can find lying around that aren’t so round.

And even then the 128 years between leap-intervals is still a rounded number.

What does that even mean? Are those /s and - division and subtraction or punctuation or what? Which precision of pi are you using? etc.

Sounds like the OP has fallen into numerology land. Which is a bottomless pit of credulous illogic.

Just to mention that the approximation 355/113 for pi is not strange. It comes directly from the continued fraction expansion of pi and every number will have a continued fraction expansion. The first two such expansions for pi give 3 and 22/7 of course.

The numerical fact I have always found most astonishing is that every positive integer is a sum of 4 squares. Consider how rare squares get to be.

Yes it’s mostly just a power of 2. But it feels more special. Like half of 1000 or 10000 in decimal. What is the exact time between non-leap years? 128.46 no longer seems so strange.

Division and subtraction, any arbitrary precision more than 7 digits. The answer is my best friends phone number all 7 digits.

Although, it is slightly remarkable that a fraction with such a large denominator shows up so early in a continued fraction expansion. For comparison, the approximations to sqrt(2) are 1, 3/2, 7/5, 17/12, 41/29… , and the approximations to e are 2/1, 3/1, 8/3, 11/4, 19/7… (and of course, for phi, they’re straight from the Fibonacci sequence: 1/1, 2/1, 3/2, 5/3, 8/5, 13/8…).

At any given time, there is always at least one place on the surface of the Earth that is the same temperature as the the antipode of that place.

Why?

I think your real question might be 'why do I see patterns where there aren’t necessarily any patterns?"

I tried this calculation, and it does not yield my best friend’s phone number.

Those are not coincidences. They are results from Brouwer’s fixed-point theorem. Coincidences by definition are unrelated events. Using these as example for the OP would be like using the “coincidence” that when I add consecutive odd natural numbers starting at 1 I always get a perfect square.

I know. I just thought kk_fusion might be interested in that, after mentioning the map point.

There’s no factual answer to the OP’s question.

Any examples of coincidental numbers without an explanation?

Of course not.

Because the very definition of “coincidence” is a human fabrication of a just-so story that happens to connect two numbers in a way that seems unexpected to a person not educated enough to see the natural underlying connection, or to recognize there is no connection, just a made-up story.

Said another way, the act of inventing the coincidence creates its explanation.

You only remember the coincidences. For every coincidence, there are a million non-coincidences that you don’t give a second thought to.