Strangely named sports tournaments/games

Anybody else have an “Uh…what?” moment on encountering this name for a football tournament - the “SheBelieves Cup”?

It’s like a HeLikesIt Cup or SheFeelsGood Cup.
I had the same feeling about the Chik-fil-A Bowl, the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, and TaxSlayer Bowl.

The curling team that I was on won the Dykes last year.

OK, technically it was the 79th Annual Francis Dykes Memorial Bonspiel, but to east coast USA curlers everywhere it’s simply “the Dykes”.

Horse racing has a lot of oddly-named stakes races. Many times, these races are named for famous and successful horses, but I have yet to find out how the the “Cup and Saucer Stakes” race, held every October at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, got its name. I can find no reference to a horse named “Cup and Saucer.”

I like that Spoons brings up the Cup and Saucer Stakes. I believe the name refers to the fact that it is the first staying test for juveniles and the better runners will go on, later in life, to contest the Queen’s Plate.

The regular England-Australia cricket match for The Ashes must qualify.

There are some odd trophies for American college football rivalries, too - the Little Brown Jug, the Illibuck, the Monon Bell, etc.

Around here we have a 100+ year-old rivalry for The Frisco Bell. It’s literal, with the trophy being a bell from an old locomotive that belonged to the now-defunct “Frisco” railroad, which ran a train between the two towns.

For sheer lameness, you can’t top The San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl.

Pretty much every single NASCAR race would qualify here.

Sorry, The Monster Energy Nascar Cup Series.

In addition to the Little Brown Jug, Minnesota plays for Paul Bunyan’s Axe and Floyd of Rosedale, a pig statue.

Congratulations! Did you win the A event final?

Part of the irony being that The Dykes is for men only. It’s a five-and-under tournament, meaning it’s for curlers with five years of experience, or less. There are similar five-and-unders for women, and for mixed teams.

I hear Dykes, I think you’re curling in the Netherlands. (I know it’s spelled “dikes”…)

I know “cup” is an old fashioned term for trophy. (They do look like giant cups). But I always picture them handing the winner some guy’s teacup.

I think protective cup out of a jock strap.

“Why are you giving me Stanley’s cup? Did you at least wash it first?”

One tournament on the European Golf tour is The Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Hosted by the Rory Foundation.

Rory McIlroy for those of you that are not golf fans. Not sure why Dubai Duty Free would be sponsoring the Irish Open.

I was thinking of the Super Bowl, which makes sense at first, if you’re familiar with the big college championship football games such as the Rose Bowl or the Orange Bowl. However, it was named “Super Bowl” after the founder of the American Football League and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had watched his children playing with a Wham-O Super Ball.

“Basho” is the oddly appropriate (if phonetically spelled) name given to sumo tournaments.

“A honbasho (本場所) is an official professional sumo tournament. There are six held each year, a system established in 1958. Only honbasho results matter in determining promotion and relegation for rikishi (sumo wrestlers). Tournaments in general may be called basho.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honbasho

Japanese pro wrestling translates into some gems. Some of the big shows of the past include Big Egg Wrestling Universe and there’s the annual G1 Climax Tournament!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never understood why the official name of Britain’s golf major is “The Open Championship”. I guess it’s the first ever official tournament that was open to everyone? But nowadays it sounds like something you’d see on Homestarrunner.com, home of “The Show”, “Some Civic Hall Auditorium”, “Beach Themed Restaurant”, and “Place”.

Dropo - The exhibition schedule is known as “jungyo”. The competitors (rikishi) compete once per location, as opposed to a tournament where they compete in 15 matches (7 for the lower ranks) in the same arena. The rikishi can sometimes win prizes, but since these aren’t official events, there is no bonus money (kensho) put up by sponsors. I don’t recall anyone ever referring to a jungyo tour as a “basho”. I’m pretty sure the actual distinction of “honbasho” is that it’s for the the full-time professional rikishi within the Sumo Association (including the unpaid lower ranks) as opposed to the college or high school level.

I attended the second day of this two day 1998 exhibition tournament in Vancouver (it was awesome). As you can see, it was called a “basho.”

In Canada, the rikishi had multiple matches on the same day. We were even privileged to see yokozunas Takanohana (my favorite) and his brother Wakanohana go up against one another, something I believe only happened once in a real tournament playoff, as they both belonged to the same stable. At the end of the second day in Canada, the winner (Takanohana) faced off against the winner of the first day (Akebono). Taka won, and I distinctly recall him receiving an envelope that I believe contained prize money. Sumo Canada Basho had many sponsors.

Perhaps exhibition tournaments are named and/or work differently inside Japan? Based on your post, it seems likely.

One race that has had some oddball names is the race most often called the Spiral Stakes, held at Turfway Park near Cincinnati. “Spiral Stakes” is interesting enough; it’s a Kentucky Derby prep race, and the idea is that horses would “spiral up” to the Derby.

In 1999, it had Gallery Furniture (Mattress Mac) as a sponsor, so it was called the “Galleryfurniture.com Stakes”.

This year, they got Jeff Ruby’s Steakhouse as the sponsor, so they called it the “Jeff Ruby Steaks”. :dubious:

Yes. There’s a picture of the “A” event winning team on that web page. I’m the old guy on the left. The one you look at and ask “how does he even curl?”