Strapless wedding dresses-- yea or nay?

Or THIS

Holy. Freaking. Shit.

Were those her engagement gift?

And I would call that covering her shoulders.

Hah! Maybe. :slight_smile:

I don’t disapprove of strapless wedding dresses, but I am surprised that they have become so popular…given what so many in this thread have said…namely that they don’t look that great on many people.

My number one criteria for a wedding dress was that I be able to wear a regular bra with it. If I had attempted to wear even the best fitted strapless dress I would have spent the whole wedding tugging at it, obsessing about whether it was slipping, showing too much, showing the strapless bra and on and on. I don’t know how women can stand them.

It’s surprising how long the strapless trend has survived, although I do think brides are slowly realizing there are other styles out there.

I loved Kate Middleton’s long-sleeved gown and hope it inspires brides to move away from strapless.

Plus one

Black might not have been the preferred color in most of the Victorian era, but it was one of the more common colors brides wore during that time. The bride wore the best dress she could afford with the expectation that she would use it afterwards for a best dress. Black was most practical color for this.

I read about a little boy at a wedding who asked, “Why does the bride wear white?”

“Because she’s happy,” said his mom.

He thought this over. “Why does the groom wear black?”

Laura Ingalls Wilder writes in These Happy Golden Years that she wore a black dress when she got married.

I don’t like strapless wedding dresses at all, expecially in church. I think they look kind of trashy.

But hell, I don’t really understand why white, the absence of color, is considered to symbolize happiness. Weddings are one of the things I think Indians do better. :slight_smile: Indian weddings wear red, to symbolize the fires of passion, or green, to symbolize fertility. White is for funerals.

I don’t like any strapless upper body coverings on most women, but for a different reason than anyone else here as noted. This pretty much goes for wedding dresses, ball gowns, halter tops and even towels wrapped around under the armpits.

I’m a hetero guy, so I naturally enjoy looking at boobs. Most strapless dresses drag the boobies down so they look like half empty water balloons hanging from a nail. It’s like the girls don’t start until somewhere around the lower ribcage.

A few women have the body type to prevent that, but my experience is that most women do not. I guess that would mainly be women with smaller breasts or women with firm breasts that are resistant to the pulling weight of dress. I would say a good rule of thumb might be not to wear a strapless dress unless you pass the pencil test.

All I ask is that it be fitted properly. I will think less of someone who spends the evening constantly tugging her dress back up. Beyond that, I really couldn’t give a damn. Of course I have opinions on the styles and cuts that they choose but it’s no more acceptable for me to comment unfavorably on that decision than it would be to criticize their choices in interior decorating.

If it’s my marriage and the celebrant has opinions about the outfits, I will find a new celebrant. If it’s not my marriage, again, I don’t care.

I would have refused to pay that photographer.

That bride should have worn something more modest - like this - with shoulder straps and a full-length hem.

With a little ingenuity, any wedding dress can be an off the shoulder maternity wedding dress.

At the end of the aisle was there a pole instead of an altar?

My cousin had a strapless dress that was fitted properly. She didn’t have to keep tugging it upwards all day. However, the proper fitting also meant that her mildly generous figure was squished into a backfat muffin top that really was not attractive. I have no idea how she looked at herself in the dress shop mirrors and thought she looked awesome.

Ah, much better!

I’ve wondered this about many people, many times, in many different fashions. I think there is a particular kind of blindness that afflicts people who must dress in whatever is currently fashionable - they see that they’re wearing something that is in style right now, and they truly don’t see how bad it looks on them.

I really wanted a non-strapless dress when I got married – I wanted sleeves, darn it.

They were impossible to find (to be fair, I also didn’t want to spend much money or time looking, which restricted my options), and it turns out I’m one of the lucky body types who actually looks good in strapless (small, small-breasted) and poofy skirts, another thing I was set against when I started dress shopping. So I ended up with a strapless poofy dress. I don’t remember hiking it up all the time – I seem to remember it fit pretty well.

I really like that sleeves and non-strapless dresses are coming back, though! I say, the more options the better. If people want to wear strapless, then great, but give us the option for other kinds of dresses!