Student sues over grade; wants A+, not A.

No, his school is the one that gives A+. The intermediate school only goes up to A. Although, as doreen pointed out, his A might not have been in the 97-100 range that gets the +. And if it was, then that begs the question of how impartial the grading was, at his mother’s law firm and all that.

When I took the NY State regents in Math, I was a smart little fuckup who barely attended math class, and had been informed by the math teacher that I was going to fail the class. I got my teacher (who felt strongly that I couldn’t possibly do the math that I had missed many, many of his classes in) to agree to give me, as a final grade, the score I would earn on the regents exam.

I got 100 on the Regents exam, which was curved upwards five points because of the difficulty, giving me (I argued) a grade of 105 on the exam AND (I argued gleefully) in the course.

He gave me a 100 (grudgingly) but said that 105 was out of the question, because he wasn’t allowed to give grades above 100.

I countered that I didn’t care, we had a deal and I want my transcript to show the grade he promised me.

I carried on for a week or so, knowing full well I’d never win, but enjoying the process of busting his balls immensely.

It sounds like those twins had some redeeming features. They couldn’t possibly be the girl I knew. :wink:

I think she got that in the course.

It’s easily possible. My final grade in high school biology was something like 114%

[I should add that I did extra projects and did extra work and stuff. It wasn’t like bonus questions on tests that got me a higher grade. My teacher also kept my notes at the end of the year to use for future classes. ::puffs out chest::: ]

From the article (bolding mine)

*Brian Delekta, who finished 11th grade in 2002 ranked at the top of his class, says he should have received an A+ for a St. Clair County intermediate school district work-experience class in which he worked as a paralegal in his mother’s law office.

Memphis schools award grades on a 12-point scale, with an A+ being a 12. The highest grade awarded by the intermediate school district is an A. Memphis High School gave Delekta credit for an A.*

Someone asked why we think the guy is rich… well most kids can’t afford to sue their school.

My guess is that this isn’t a required class. And if he’s doing well enough to have been first in his class at the end of his junior year, he probably doesn’t need it for credit to graduate. So if he’s that paranoid about the A bringing down his GPA, maybe he should just drop this grade altogether. Keep it on his resume for college, but don’t count it for a grade.