Study indicates diabetes drug Avandia may be tied to risk of heart disease

A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine on May 21 indicates that the popular diabetes medication Avandia may raise the risk of heart attacks and death.

The FDA issued a safety alert on Monday and said they likely would convene an advisory panel, but planned no immediate changes to the current side effect warnings on the drug’s packaging.

Evidence, however, is preliminary, and the American Diabetes Association says that patients should talk to their doctors before stopping any diabetic medication.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8P952IO0.htm

I have type-2 diabetes and have been taking Avandia for about 5 years. I called my doctor’s office and he switched me to a different medication. I am bringing this to the Dopers’ attention, in case any members have concerns about this study. Of course, I am not a doctor, and do not presume to dispense medical advice. One should always consult with his or her doctor and follow their recommendations.
EDIT-I realize this should probably have been put in MPSIMS. Can a moderator please move this to the appropriate forum? Thanks.

cochrane

Sure.
Moving thread from IMHO to MPSIMS.

Yeah, I’m exploring getting my Avandia patients off of it and onto pioglitazone (Actos) or other agents.

In my cast, Actos is a wonder drug.

Avandia, which my insurer wanted to switch me to, did NOTHING. Sugar pills would have had a better reaction

I left a message with my Doc, but when she called back, said she didn’t want to do anything in a hurry, without seeing the study.

Which was kind of a less-inspiring answer than I wanted to get, frankly.