Stuff in movies that bugs me. How about you?

The best example I can come up with off the top of my head is John Huston in Chinatown. Nicholson’s character’s name is Jake Gittes and he pronounces it as “git-tess” (maybe “git-tiss” for us Southern types) in an obviously two-syllable name. Huston always mocks him by saying “Gits” or “Gitz” or some other one-syllable thing.

What bugs me is that Noah Cross (Huston’s character) would hear the name as Jake says it when introducing himself. But Huston (the actor) would more than likely encounter the name first by reading it in the screenplay. He could be forgiven for mispronouncing it to himself as it appeared on the page, but Polanski should have corrected the mispronunciation for the sake of realism.

To my ear, that has always been an affectation that rankled me.

Any other examples like this? Other examples of silly shit that annoys you in otherwise fine films?

You’re kidding, right? Polanski wanted Huston to pronounce the name that way (and I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Towne’s script specifically indicated that Cross should say the name this way). It’s a sign of Cross’s contempt for Gittes: he doen’t bother (perhaps deliberately) to get his name right.

This is known as “characterization.”

Here’s what bugs me: people who start threads like this because they have no sense of nuance, sophistication, or characterization and think that being “realistic” – according to their own limited experiences – is somehow the most important thing. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Bit harsh there, Dude; you might want to consider mellowing out. Even though I agree with your main point (and Polanski is a notorious stickler for detail).

But truly mistaken pronunciation can be annoying. The movie Iceman is actually pretty good, but’s it’s annoying that the Neandertal expert keeps saying “Neanderthal”, pronouncing the th.

Yeah. That was called for.

I’ve found, that in Cafe Society, almost everything should be read with YMMV firmly in mind.

Of course, there are also a lot of factual answers to be had, but when it involves taste or perceptions, then there should not be a need for “correcting” anyone.

IMHO, YMMV, IANAAH

Nicely put. And it is true that IANAAH applies – to you.

Here’s what bugs me: a poster who’s been here long enough to know better than to insult other posters outside the Pit, yet who lacks enough self-control to resist introducing and then ramping up the hostility because he feels his ire is somehow “the most important thing”.

Got news for ya: it ain’t. Cool it.

But you yourself point out that he’s doing it to mock Gittes. So it seems to make sense to most people, yourself included, that it’s an intentional prononciation. I’m not sure why it would rankle you.
The thing in Jurassic Park that’s always always rankled me is when Lex is at the computer trying to lock the doors and the adults are shoving on the door and trying to simultaneously reach the gun. Timmy is just standing next to Lex, cheering her on. Hello? Go give them the gun!!!

[QUOTE=Zoggie]
Timmy is just standing next to Lex, cheering her on. Hello? Go Any time anyone is standing there doing nothing when someone is having a hard time pisses me off so badly I can barely breathe. Women in movies are notorious for doing this. Stop screaming you stupid bitch and get the goddamn weapon and do what you can!
GAH!

People look at me like this :dubious: when I say I like Arnold movies… But if you look through Arnold movies very rarely are his women weak spineless little twats. If they don’t fight physically (Total Recall, Terminator, Red Sonja, even Conan the Barbarian) they are still fighting back how they can (Erasure, and that one where he says “Traffic” when asked why he was so long.) When the plot calls for a weak woman, like Conan the Destroyer and that sweet little princess, they made the villain a woman! And don’t forget Grace Jones (who personally, I loved in that movie).

Maybe I’m harping on plot devices. But here’s another one that was brought up in the Chuck & Larry thread: When one member of the couple goes to the other because they have to say something important and the other ignores it. Like this:

Guy: “I have to tell you something.”
Girl: “Ok, but first I have to tell you…” rambles on about how wonderful everything is and how great life is and how much she loves guy.
Girl: “What were you going to say?”
Guy: “Uh…nothing.”

MIKA SMASH!

I have no real quarrel with the way that mocking is played. My issue is with the idea that Gittes, as pronounced by Jake, might be mispronounced after having been heard (as Faye Dunaway does) as Git-eez. That’s less annoying. But to have heard the name pronouced and (without seeing it in print, as on a business card, which I honestly can’t remember Huston’s character ever doing) choosing to drop a syllable merely to mock Jake seems presumptuous to me, in spite of the possibility that Polanski wanted this to happen. (We’re not going to debate Polanski’s infallibility are we?)

There are other such cases in other films where it’s almost obvious that the actor misread the pronunciation guide (if any) and never bothered to look up a pronuciation in a dictionary and just went on their way with it. That’s okay as long as it’s not somebody’s name or an otherwise well-known pronunciation that most people (but obviously not the actor) would know about.

In The Sopranos, as a counterpoint, a lot of Tony’s charm is his tendency toward malapropisms. That’s cool. But when the tone is serious and somebody mispronounces something they (or their director) ought to know better about, it gets under my skin.

To quote NoClueBoy, YMMV. There may be other little things like this that bug you. That’s what this thread is (I had hoped) about.

OK, there’s this movie called “Caged Fury.” It’s about a prison for women that’s actually a phony front for a white slavery operation. It’s a full-fledged prison with nurses, staff, a medical unit, a cafeteria, cells, guardhouses, the whole works.

In addition, the plot had the slavers set up:

A fake modelling agency
A fake court
Fake police with a fake patrol car

Now, I know the slavers make more money if they don’t have to share the profits with the women, but jeebus, do ya suppose all that outlay for fake stuff doesn’t cost one HELL of a lot more than just hiring some women to be prostitutes and going halvsies with them? Plus all the risks of exposure with all those co-conspiratators wandering the streets, that’s gotta be a real concern.

Also, the prisoners are eventually rescued when a huge martial artist named Richard Barathy finds the prison and goes in and beats up everyone he finds except the women in the cells. The problem I have there is, all the guards have guns, we even see scenes of them shooting helpless prisoners in their cells when exposure is imminent. But not one of them thinks to shoot Barathy, they all just think they’re going to take this guy who’s not wearing a shirt because he’s got muscles on his muscles.

Sigh.

I’m getting really tired of this trend in extremely muted colors in American movies. Hey cinematographers, they used to call your craft “painting with light,” not “hey, let’s make everything look like it was shot through a muddy sock.” I happened to see Volver recently and I said, “Oh my God…color. I remember that.”

That would be impossible, as it was a Steven Spielberg movie, and Guns Never Solve Anything in a Spielberg movie. We’re lucky the adults weren’t trying to reach a walkie-talkie instead. :rolleyes:
Every Jurassic Park movie is ludicrous when it comes to this. Dinosaurs aren’t Godzilla…you shoot a dinosaur with a large caliber weapon, it will die. But in ever JP movie, if you have a gun you can be sure you’ll never get a chance to use it.

What bugged me was that the guns depicted in the movie were shotguns, but the holes they made in the glass were small-caliber rounds.
But even in the book it was clear that Hammond and his team didn’t think firearms were necessary, (oooooh, high-tech security system!) and were there only as backup.
And I do believe guns were used to solve many problems in Saving Private Ryan.

Note that once Noah Cross confronts Jake after the latter has clearly figured out where and why Hollis Mulwray was killed, he pronounces Jake’s last name correctly without any prompting. Despite his snarky attitude, RealityChuck is correct; the whole “g-eye-tz” thing was clearly just his way of Noah Cross indicating to Jake how insignificant he is.

Stranger

My wife’s nickname is not that uncommon and not at all hard to pronounce, but there are several people who just can’t get it, even after being corrected multiple time. And they don’t have ulterior motives.

The thing that bugs me is when the main characters engage in actions in a crowd that would impact the crowd - but the extras just go on as if nothing were happening. Especially car chases. Car 1 barrels through a red light at an intersection, barely avoiding a collision. Car 2 comes by seconds later, and none of the cars on the cross street have stopped to figure out what the heck is going on. Especially annoying when this allows the pursuing cop to be taken out of action.

Lack of consequences also bug me. This is pretty much universal except for two examples. Men in Black at least had a mechanism to keep the presence of the aliens a secret. In Dragnet Dan Ackroyd kept on getting a crappier car after he totals the last one, until he winds up with a Yugo. Probably the best thing in that movie.

Ugh, I know. Muldoon (the game hunter in the first one) and Eddie Carr (in Lost World) are good examples. In the books, the characters did get a chance to shoot them (there’s a great scene where Sarah Harding and Kelly are riding a motorcycle and Kelly’s trying to hunt down a raptor).

Can you think of any examples? Usually, they’ve made sense to me. I also like how certain characters make a lot of malapropisms (Tony, Christopher, Paulie) and other, smarter ones make fewer (Johnny Sack almost never makes them, similarly Silvio didn’t make them as often). During a serious, and extremely touching, moment, when Tony was lamenting having passed down his “putrid genes” to his son, A.J., I remember him making one. I’m not sure what it was, but it didn’t take me out of the scene too much.

I always hated when a character had something important to say, with a short space of time to say it, and kept prattling on about meaningless drivel until time had run out. Two examples;

Yoda waffles on about how he must sleep, and he’s tired, even makes that “when nine hundred years old you are” joke, and runs out of time to say, “Hey luke; you have a sister”.
Also, in the middle of The Truman SHow, Natascha McElhone (BTW, isnt she just BEAUTIFUL?) has a small amount of time to tell Jim Carrey that his entire life is being recorded on TV. She brings him to a beach, where she spots a jeep bearing down on them, with somebody driving that will bundle her off so she cant spill the beans. So, as time is of the essence, she tells Truman;

"Truman, its for you, look, this sand; see this sand, its all for you, everything is all for you!’

as opposed to;

“hey Truman, your being videod constantly and your life is shown on TV”.
BUGS. THE. HELL. OUT. OF. ME.

In the first Jurassic Park, I don’t believe any shots are ever fired. Muldoon is trying to get a bead on a raptor when its partner sneaks up on him from behind.