Stuff to do in the Oceanside/Carlsbad CA area this weekend- Suggestions anyone???

I am going down to The Oceanside CA area tomorrow thru Sunday and I was wondering if there is anybody here that might be able to tell me some interesting stuff to do and see.
I will be there visiting my sister, but she has to work friday night, so I am on my own from like 3-11 pm. I can go down to the beach and hang out, watch the sunset but after dark it might be a bit weird to be down there alone. She is not much help, as she just moved down there and is not familliar with much activities either.
I will have a vehicle and driving elsewhere wouldn’t really be a problem. I would prefer not to drive down into San Diego alone (I know I am weird) so those kinds of things would be out.
So Dopers… help me out… suggest away!!!
Also, if there are any Dopers in the area that want to get together, that might be cool too!

I haven’t been, but my husband and son thought this was pretty cool:

That’s also where Legoland is.

Know what I would do if I was in Carlsbad?

Leave as soon as possible! :smiley: That place is for the birds.

Okay, well maybe I’d find a good Mexican joint and have a plate of grub and a few beers. Thats about all I can come up with. That place was always just somewhere inbetween where I was and where I was going. Maybe the beach will be open and realitively syringe-free.

My first thought was that you could go to Carlsbad Caverns.

My second thought is that I’m dumb (that’d be in New Mexico, ya idjit…).

Legos!

If you don’t mind driving inland a bit, you could check out the Wild Animal Park. Right now they have Park After Dark which means you can go at night, there’s pretty lights and stuff.

There is also Restaurant Row in San Marcos, which isn’t too far away. You’ll find a good selection of restaurants, and there are a few places that also have some nightlife. For example, Sevilla .

If you don’t mind driving inland a bit, you could check out the Wild Animal Park. Right now they have Park After Dark which means you can go at night, there’s pretty lights and stuff.

There is also Restaurant Row in San Marcos, which isn’t too far away. You’ll find a good selection of restaurants, and there are a few places that also have some nightlife. For example, Sevilla .

Okay, never mind that restaurant row bit. I thought Sevilla was there, but it’s in Carlsbad, not San Marcos. Clearly I’ve never been there.

My dad works at the Wild Animal Park. You can hang out with him. :smiley:

Man, I used to go surfing in Oceanside and Carlsbad all the time when I was a kid. God, how I miss the beaches down there(Live in Nor Cal now).

There is a pub in San Marcos called ‘Churchills’ that I plan on going to. I went there with my sis the first time I went down there. I figured we (sis and I) would do when she gets off work. I like it a lot, and the bartender that we had was really cool!

A lot of surfing goes on from what I saw when I was there about a month ago. My sis wants to rent boards on Sat and go surfing. I don’t swim all that well, plus I have issues with water I can’t see the bottom of. So I told her- I would rent her a board and I will watch safely from shore.

I would like to do the SDZoo Wild Animal Park- After Dark. Would it be fun to go alone? I am such a poop :o

LegoLand sounds cool, but my skin crawls at the thought of being surrounded by screaming children. :eek:

That Music museum sounds cool- They have some surf music concert on Saturday. Might have to check that out…
Oh more suggestions please… They are giving me good ideas what to go & do.

Going to IKEA on Sunday to get stuff… since we don’t have one in Las Vegas. :slight_smile:

cher3; thanks for pointing out the Music Museum. I went to the Surf Sounds event. It was great and I had a really good time.

But I decided to do the Wild Animal Park the next time Eric and I go down that way.

Yea! IKEA shopping, I got lots of good stuff.

Is “Hill Street Booze” still in that town? Sad when the only establishment you can recall is a liquor store.

You really should rethink driving south some. There’s lots of good stuff to see.

And “Wild Animal Park” is cool.