Stuff you thought was a joke but turned out to be real

I was at an scout event when I was younger which involved camping.

My leader went off with another leader to go buy some ice. They were taking a long time just to get ice, so when they got back we started teasing them about using “going to get ice” as an excuse to go somewhere and have sex.

Anyway, “getting ice” has meant “going to go have sex” from then on with the people there. (Even as far as calling particularly fine male specimens “ice-men”. Hee hee)

I thought at the time that it was just a huge joke, teasing and all.

I found out about 6 months later that the two leaders were actually having a relationship! Everyone knew except me! :o So all along I had not really “got” the joke. It was very embarrassing, but at the same time funny. :slight_smile:

When Ronald Reagan ran for president… and then got elected.

I thought my friend Hannah made up the word “megalopolis.” Turns out, I was wrong.

The first time I saw an advertisement on tv for Toilet Duck Bowl Cleanser, I was convinced it was an ad for Energizer Batteries with that annoying drum playing pink animal.

When I saw a television ad for this CD, I thought it was a Saturday Night Live skit.

Two words Fred Phelps. :mad:

I first heard the phrase “womyn” on Beavis and Butthead, and I was sure they just thought up some off the wall kind of issue.

Imagine my shock when I found there ARE feminists who want it to be “womyn.”

My exact quote at 9:45 am, 9/11/01, when my roommate called me over to look at MSNBC.com: “Man, that is one tasteless fucking joke, man. They did a good job with the page, though. Looks real.”

The first time I saw a commercial for Zimm’s Crack Cream…I thought, what the hell? Butt cream? Turns out it is a real concentrated moisturizer for cracked skin.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I first heard of this in the series finale of Magnum PI, where he picks up a comic book and reads the title.

A few days later I said something about it to my own nephew, to which he replied something like, “Yeah, I have one.”

Yeah, right.

I thought it was just some made-up name thrown into the script.

NADS hair removal gel

The Spice Girls. I thought they were some Japan-only novelty group who were just there to shake their tits at the camera.

I know there are some movies I initially thought were joke ideas but turned out to be real, but I’ve apparently repressed those memories.

The first time I noticed a ricer.

Married By America.

I kept hearing about that show from friends and coworkers, but I always thought they were kidding. I didn’t find out till last night that it’s an actual show.

I also thought September 11th was a joke. We were sitting in 3D Design class the morning it happened, and our teacher turned on the radio. We heard them talking about how the second tower had just collapsed, and a bomb went off at the pentagon. It seemed so bizarre, and the station (Y-100) does parodies all the time. We all just laughed it off. :frowning:

“There’ll probably be a Mortal Kombat 4 before a Street Fighter 3.” - Me, in a Darkstalkers review I did way back, expressing my doubts that there’d ever be a Mortal Kombat 4 or Street Fighter 3.

“Gawd, this has gotta be the worst cartoon ever. Who the hell watches this garbage?” - Me, after my first viewing of a Beavis and Butthead episode.

“Hey! Capcom and SNK are going to make a fighting game together!” - Some overheated fighting game message board nimrod, at a time when SNK was on the verge of being wiped out of existence and Capcom had expressed a strong desire to move away from 2d fighting games. (Actual game was a letdown, mainly because Capcom had to redesign all the SNK people, so there was really no basis for determining “which one was THE STRONGEST”.)

“Look, there really, really is an actual calendar with an actual May 33rd, and there is an actual event which happens on that day in a Leap Year!” - Take a wild guess. :smiley:

And of course…“Say, didja hear that Michael Jordan’s gonna come out of retirement again?”

In 1986 when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded I was on the way to my first class. A fellow classmate stopped me and said, “did you hear that the space shuttle just blew up?” He was the kind of person who was hard to take seriously anyway, so I naturally dismissed this statement thinking, “Yeah, right!” Of course I soon realized, sadly enough though, he was telling the truth for once.

Oh yeah, how could I forget: Barbie Girl.

Try to wrap your brain around all of the following, like that’s even possible:

1. It’s a bubblegum eurobeat song by some obscure Danish group that became a monster hit in the USA.
  2. It got the played-to-death treatment on the radio. (Did I mention that it was bubblegum euro?)
  3. It became the only American hit Aqua ever had.
  4. It sparked a LAWSUIT from Mattel.
  5. It single-handedly killed eurobeat…not just bubblegum, all eurobeat…in America. (There was a pretty heated discussion on this on eurodancehits.com a little while back.)

All this from a song that sounds like it belongs in the same category as Fish Heads, and also bears no resemblance to anything else Aqua has ever done.

It’s been almost two years since they broke up, and my head’s still spinning.

(Oh yeah…second Who Let The Dogs Out.)

Reminds me of Bag Balm.

7 years ago when I was in secondary school (high school), our entire year received free copies of some lousy teen magazine. It was so loser that the centrefold was a big picture of some pathetic boyband which nobody had ever heard of, and which had a ridiculous name besides. As a joke, the next class detached the pictures from every magazine and plastered the classroom with them, pretending to be their biggest fans.

We all thought it was so funny at that time. But we stopped laughing a few years later when the whole world started listening to N’Sync.

I thought vestigial nipples were just a joke on The Simpsons (Krusty the Clown has one).

In high school, my whole English class used to make jokes about our very fat, very short teacher. Among the jokes were wisecracks about her being pregnant.

Boy wasn’t the egg on our faces when we heard the announcement a few months later congratulating her on giving birth to a bouncing baby boy.