Stupid Lines in Movies You Love

It’s yet another example of how the writers were so eager to show anachronisms that they had to stoop to illogical dialogues. My favorite:

There are two stupid things in that scene. First, although Tab is a sugar-free drink, Pepsi Free was not sugar-free; it was caffeine-free. Second, did Michael J. Fox look like he needed to go on a diet?

“This is how I spell relief” says Tuck Pendelton as he lets his miniturized pod drop into Jack’s stomach, along with Mr. Igoe.

Then apparently Jack’s stomach acid has the dissolving power of a 99% solution of muriatic acid as it manages to skeletonize Mr. Igoe within seconds. I guess its more effective at dissolving his, um, tiny molecules? :confused:

Some people drink diet soda pop (I’m an inclusive guy) so that they don’t end up looking like they should. Others apparently drink it because they prefer the nasty aftertaste.

Some of us just hate the nasty aftertaste of corn syrup more. :slight_smile: But I have cut way, way back on pop.

“Nobody puts baby in the corner”

“Is that cannon fire, or is it my heart pounding?”

Except, I hate that line so much, I don’t really enjoy Casablanca.

God yes. Such a fun movie except for that giant turd of an Andie McDowell.

More cringeworthy is “Me? I’m afraid of everything…” and the rest of that speech which I can’t stand to type.

I don’t understand why, but I find Donkey proclaiming he’s going to make waffles very funny. Maybe it’s his expression, maybe it’s the delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jzvh5Wb00

The line itself is OK, but the context and what follows are all wrong:

Near the end of The Blues Brothers, Jake and Elwood have been pursued to City Hall by the Police, Army, National Guard, etc. They stop to ask for directions to the Cook County Assessor’s office and the guy says, “Down the hall, turn right, take the elevator to 1102.”

Moments later, when the cop asks the same guy if he’d seen the Brothers, he says, “Yeah. I just sent them down there.” And from “down there,” everybody charges to the right hallway, the right elevator (and stairs) and eventually room 1102, without having been given any of that information.

Somehow, in a film that is basically one giant heap of implausibility, this is the one moment that I can’t get past.

Puns are “stupid lines” by definition so…I love James Bond. With that thought in mind:

In Dr. No. (I think): The villain woman Bond has just been dancing with has been shot and killed so he lowers her down into a chair opposite a tourist couple. “Do you mind if she sits here? She’s just dead.”

In the same film: A hearse full of villain gunmen that was chasing Bond crashes into a gasoline truck and goes over a cliff in flames. “I think they were going to a funeral.”

In From Russia with Love: An assassin is shot killed sneaking out of an escape hatch in the mouth of an advertising mural (of a woman) 30 feet up on the side of a building. “She should have kept her mouth shut.”

Thunderball, not Dr No.

In Goldfinger, when Felix Leitner and his partner think they’re tracking Bond but are really following Oddjob on his way to the “airport”:

*“Where’s he going?”

“Five’ll get you ten it’s either a drink or a dame.”*

That line was dated and trite even in 1964, and I cringe every time I hear it. I think the writers wanted to make Felix sound more “American.” :rolleyes: (NB: Cec Linder, the actor who played Felix in Goldfinger, was actually Canadian.)

The Bond movies got progressively worse as they were written by committee to please the whiteshirts at UA. The absolute worst was probably License to Kill, where the gung-ho American police have Miami Vice-type lines like “The DA’s screaming for action!”

Julie Andrews’ gushing “Oh, Michael!” in Torn Curtain never fails to bring the house down.* **

*Hitchcock really, really is a vastly overrated director!

**Oops! I forgot this thread was about movies I love!

IIRC, someone once said that Connery, but not Moore, could play Bond as casually complaining to a waiter at dinner upon suddenly killing a woman with his steak knife.

IIRC, that ‘someone’ was – Roger Moore.

I think the idea is that the line is a bit of stupid that stands out in an otherwise good movie. I KNOW I’ve encountered such, just can’t think of any at the moment.

I’ve heard this cited before, but I LIKED that line. Perfect purple comic book prose.

Actually, while I agree the scene falls flat, I think Kate has nailed it. She’s committing an act of extreme courage, defying Michael, telling him just how deep her loathing of him is. And she’s right to loathe him. One of the few things I liked about the movie.

Yes, real weak sauce there in an otherwise smart, funny movie.

Great movie quotations expressed as charts: Famous Movie Quotes as Charts

freakin’ brilliant. Thanks for sharing!