Stupid News Tricks

A local news broadcast. about 10 - 15 minutes ago…

Video: A Norway rat scampers across the screen and into a drainpipe.

“Kings die, and leave their crowns to their sons. Shmuel HaKatan took all the treasures in the world, and went away.”

Darn, I hit the wrong key, and left out the punchline:

Audio: “More on the mysterious disappearance of a Yale student…”

“Kings die, and leave their crowns to their sons. Shmuel HaKatan took all the treasures in the world, and went away.”

So Yale has perfected the science of turning its students into rats? Those clever bastards. They must be able to increase enrollment exponentially; rats don’t eat much.

Never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to stupidity.
– Unknown

Years ago at a station I used to work at one of our reporters was finishing up a live shot concerning a search for an escaped inmate named Siemen (pronounced SEE-MEN). In closing she mentioned the fact that authorities were now using bloodhounds in their search efforts. She ended her report with:

“…and as of early this evening authorities report that police and prison officials are hot on the scent of Siemen.”

True story.

“My hovercraft is full of eels.”

two of the most memorable I’ve seen:

“. . .and I’m sure that everyone would like to forget about this tragedy and put it behind us. More on this at 11.”

and now, one which made my jaw drop. I’m sure it was an honest mistake; just an extremely poor word choice: ending a report on a misdirected antisemetic hate crime, “and the worst part of it was that the victim wasn’t even Jewish.”

“I’m just too much for human existence – I should be animated.”
–Wayne Knight

WRC (Channel 4 Washington, DC) has its little new blurbs during prime time, with the anchor appending “at 11”. Often, the headlines and his little suffix run together just right to crack me up. E.g.:[ul]
[li]Maryland man drowns in the Potomac at 11.[/li][li]Road rage on DC streets at 11.[/li][li]Reskins pounded by the Cowboys at 11.[/ul][/li]It always sounds like we have 2-3 hours to avert these disasters.