Stupid Republican idea of the day

Has the Rules Committee made a decision as to whether or not Cheney is, technically, “alive”?

Because they scare the white folks…

Republican actress Janine Turner says that she has “found” a clause in the Constitution (Article I, Section 10, Clause 3) which would allow “the states to take this back into their own hands.”

Because the states were facing “imminent danger” they could come together and form their own union to deal with immigration and other issues, she advised.

I guess she missed the part of the clause which says “No State shall, without the Consent of Congress

I won’t even discuss the part of the article which says Star Wars is based on the Bible.

Bill to prevent athletes from striking.

To some, the athletes’ stance against the administration’s perceived dismissal of racism was akin to Martin Luther King Jr.’s protests. Others, of course, viewed the football players as “cowardly liberal lazy douchebags.”

Today, Missouri State Representative Rick Brattin (R-Harrisonville) sided with the latter sentiment and pre-filed a bill that would strip NCAA student-athletes of their scholarships if they refuse to play for any reason “unrelated to health.”

Granted, this is the same Republican legislator who introduced bills requiring women to obtain permission of the biological father before obtaining an abortion, preventing food stamp recipients from purchasing cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood, or steak, and mandating that Missouri textbooks treat “intelligent design and destiny” as equal to evolution.
http://www.atlredline.com/missouri-republican-state-rep-introduces-bill-to-preven-1747967186

More “good” [by some measure of good] reading in the article.

I’m not really sure what that is a “stupid idea.” It’s legal, and it’s not really unreasonable to require scholarship athletes to play if they want to keep their scholarships (though I don’t have a problem with the “strike” either).

Considering that Bill Clinton had the lowest “lie” rating and he lied under oath, I’m not going to give that list a lot of significance either.

Ah, but then there’s this quote from the article:

It goes on to question whether it’s legal under the Missouri constitution.

Personally, I’m not all that fond of the way the U.S. seems to view labor and management as adversaries. But if the Republican party line is that business works best without regulations, the that should apply to both sides of the table. I don’t see any reason for the state to step in and help colleges keep their [del]employees[/del] athletes in line.

Not really a stupid Republican idea, more of a notable explosion of my patented Bullshitometer of the day which happens to be from a conservative source - but it made me laugh my ass off and I feel the need to share my mirth. Behold, the only climate change graph you need to see, courtesy of the National Review.

I sure hope he is. Otherwise he can’t fucking die.

But that shows the average temperature rising by roughly two degrees Fahrenheit, doesn’t it? Isn’t that right?

It’s not very useful or precise, but I don’t think it’s inaccurate.

I think the point is that it’s deliberately misleading by showing a y-axis range so much greater than the actual variation in the graph. The casual viewer is supposed to glance at it and say, “huh, there’s not actually much change going on there!”

Disregarding, of course, the fact that the axis goes from -10 degrees F to 110 degrees F, whereas the global average temperature range capable of supporting life as we know it goes from only about 50 to 65 degrees F.

Once you know that, a temperature increase of about 2 degrees F starts to look rather more significant.

It’s a graph of my height from birth to present to the nearest mile.

Oops. Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn) forgot to file millions of dollars worth of investments and profits he received since coming to the Senate in 2007:

It’s a completely stupid idea and, if passed (no chance IMO), will wreck the state’s flagship football program (for what that’s worth).

There’s an ongoing thread about this topic in Game Room but I’ll take advantage of this particular mention with a driveby pitting of asshole dalej42, who thinks that the ongoing disputes about athletes’ rights in college sports can all be solved if the schools (and their state lawmakers) just get tougher.

The point isn’t that it’s inaccurate, the point is that by deliberately picking an X-axis that goes from “equator frozen over” to “flash-boiling poles”, any global temp curve is going to appear flat at first glance.
So it’s a deliberately misleading graph, which is expected ; but what tickles me here is the simple transparency of the bullshit. At this point they’re telling their readers “We sincerely believe you’re giant idiots. We’re quite confident you won’t notice we do, what with your being giant idiots”. And I didn’t know Excel graphs *could *even convey that kind of contempt ! :smiley:

When I was young I joined the Teen Aged Republicans because of a girl. I learned my lesson, and if Linda Carter can’t turn me back to the Dark Side, what hope does Janine Turner have?

Maggie should have let Dr. Fleischmann nail her. It would have relaxed her some.

It is with a heavy heart that I shall remove her restraining orders from my Hall of Famed.

[QUOTE=Rick Kitchen;18938435

I guess she missed the part of the clause which says “No State shall, without the Consent of Congress

I won’t even discuss the part of the article which says Star Wars is based on the Bible.[/QUOTE]

Not that I want to defend this - but I think that clause is overridden by the bit that says

Which actually makes sense - especially when Congress only met for a limited time and it took weeks to assemble, if there were a an actual emergency, the states would need a way and the authority to respond quickly.

Similarly to the 2nd amendment, I’m not sure that clause has a lot of meaning in the modern age.

Well, I’ll chip in to build a wall around Texas.

Well, yes, but, the first thing I did was zoom in until I could see the actual change - wouldn’t anyone?

I use “bullshit” slightly differently; an element of actual mendacity is required for me.