Stupid TV game show contestants

In my opinion, buying vowels is overpowered; so buying vowels is only stupid if you already know the answer.
In the ‘buy vowels then hit bankrupt’ scenario, you aren’t winning anyway because you hit bankrupt. It isn’t as if buying vowels made you hit bankrupt. The goal of the game is to solve the puzzle. Buying vowels is an excellent way to do so. Focusing on an edge case is shortsighted.
Furthermore, buying vowels allows one to optimize cash since if you know the solution before calling consonants you can choose low numbered consonants when hitting a low value and save up the multiletter consonant for if you hit a big number then solve. If you guess consonants those five T’s could be wasted on 300 dollars.
Anyway, buying vowels is hardly stupid.

“I’ll put the rest ‘on account’. On account of, I don’t want that demmed ceramic dalmatian!”

The goal of the game is to have the highest score by the end of the regular rounds.

And the only way to score is to solve puzzles. Solving puzzles as soon as you can guarantees you money and prevents your opponents from doing so. Going for extra by continuing to spin is a risk often worth taking, but only to a point.

It’s been ages since I saw it, but I think that if there was a prize that you could afford, you had to buy it. It was only when your bank got below the cheapest prize, and then the choice was account or gift certificate.

However, it would certainly be possible not to buy the ceramic dalmation. If you solved the puzzle for $5,000, and there was a trip to Puerto Vallarta for $4,999, you’d have a buck left over. You can’t even buy a ceramic chihuahua for $1.

You are correct. And actually it doesn’t look as bad as I remember.

I once saw a guy who had the spin of the wheel down perfect. It was one of those that had a $10,000 space (the highest on the wheel), a third the width of a normal space wedged in between 2/3 bankrupt. And he hit that $10k third-of-a-space every single time he spun. And then missed the letter, every single time he spun.

Still not sure how he managed that. Sure, it’s something a human could practice, but to practice it, you’d need long-term access to the show’s wheel (or at least, a perfect replica of it), and how would you get that?