Stupid way of putting references in a book?

I was helping a friend of mine who studies psychology to find some journals that were referenced in a book. The references were just the names of the authors and the date the journal was published, eg (DIGMAN, INOUYE, 1986). No other information. This made it really tough to find the journals. I was used to the type of refference that goes like this: David M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, Addison-Wesley, 1990

She told me that this type of reference was common in psychology books. Why?

That style of citation should go with a bibliography or list of references at the end of the work, giving a fuller citation (including journal title, volume and page number). If the work only has author surnames and dates, without a list giving fuller details,. it’s incomplete. (Just author and date, and knowing which field you are dealing with, may be enough in some cases to deduce the full citation, but often the same author will publish several articles in the same year, so you’d remain in doubt in those cases.)

APA style. Like Giles said, there should always be reference pages at the end of the book or article. Maybe she had an edition with a pretty serious printer’s error?