Subtle inaccuracies in depictions of your city/region in fiction

Before my move to Europe a few years ago, I spent more than twenty-five years living in Seattle.

It wasn’t a terribly common setting for movies and TV shows, but it popped up every now and then, with a trendy burst between the mid 90s and the early 2000s. Most of the time, the city was just background, with no real attempt to engage with its specifics or allow the city’s unique qualities to inform the storytelling. Stuff like Frasier and Grey’s Anatomy could take place anywhere; the Seattle setting was just “generic city with occasional establishing-shot landmarks.” If they occasionally get something about the city “wrong,” it doesn’t really matter.

A movie like Sleepless in Seattle is funnier to locals, because it spends a lot of time in the city, and shows the characters in a number of different locations. When our heroes set off in the small motorboat in Lake Union, and then arrive on Alki Beach, Seattle audiences howled with laughter.

This has been on my mind recently because I finished Last of Us Part 2 a few weeks ago. I won’t get into spoilers, but major elements of the story are set in Seattle, and you as the player get to explore the city’s geography pretty extensively. And within a few minutes, it’s clear that the game designers have no meaningful experience with the city; they picked it as a location, made a few scouting visits to capture basic layouts and a few superficial details, and then made up the rest.

And it’s almost all wrong.

I’m not talking about simple divergences in layout, like the odd way the freeway goes through downtown or the fact that the Koolhaas library is flipped around to face the other direction. I see those things as changes, as conscious compromises between physical geography and the needs of gameplay. I would compare, for example, a racing game that mirrors a real city in condensed form, like Nice in Forza Horizon 2; I don’t expect every street and every building to be in the right place, because gameplay comes first.

Rather, in Last of Us 2, the errors I found most amusing were much more subtle, the kind of cultural oversights that nobody would notice if they weren’t a genuine local.

Stuff like:

• As you wander through the post-apocalyptic streets, you of course pass multitudes of abandoned, broken-down cars. The problem is, the vehicle models don’t match the Seattle profile. The game shows a lot of American-styled sedans and small vans and pickups, and if you’re not from there, you don’t give it a second thought. But Seattleites know the streets are full of weather-appropriate imports like Subarus and Volvos, plus new-money luxury sedans, plus SUVs and big pickup trucks. This is a perfect example of something the game gets wrong not because it needs to serve the gameplay but because it legitimately doesn’t know any better, yet if you’re a local you notice it right away.

• While in Seattle, you get to visit the waterfront aquarium for a bit. The game puts it in the right place and reflects the interior architecture reasonably well, but then you walk through a marine-mammal performance auditorium, where visitors get to watch seals and such doing tricks. The real aquarium doesn’t have one of these, but the game designers clearly added it because it’s an interesting location. What they don’t realize, though, is that, culturally, Seattle would never tolerate such a venue. As a longtime local, when I walked into the seating area and realized what I was looking at, it was a huge “clang” moment for me.

Now, just to be clear, I’m not ragging on the game, not at all. It’s not like these kinds of errors “ruined” it for me. In fact, it was my favorite gaming experience in years, and I’m itching to replay it. I do recognize that not everyone shares my opinion, and that the game has been pretty divisive. I want to be clear that these are simply observations within the experience, and not a critique of the thing itself, and I’m hoping to prevent a tangential hijack where people dump on the game generally. That’s not at all what this is about.

Because, honestly, I find it more interesting when a work of fiction — a movie, a TV show, a book, or, in this case, a video game — makes mistakes like this, missing the mark on portraying your home city because it makes incorrect assumptions due to a lack of familiarity… and yet the work of fiction succeeds for you anyway. That’s the really fascinating thing for me, that I can spend so much time in this alternate-universe version of a city I know well, seeing evidence everywhere that the creators weren’t from there and didn’t have a deep-tissue understanding of it, and nevertheless I can forgive their missteps and oversights and enjoy the experience anyway. Like, in Last of Us 2, the big late-game setpiece where you’re crossing bridges between skyscrapers makes absolutely no sense from a story-justification standpoint, but the gameplay experience is so beautifully done, so visceral, that I am willing to ignore how nonsensical the bridges are as “shortcuts” given the physical layout of the real city.

So I thought I’d start a thread on the topic. I don’t really care much about the big simple mistakes, like how the Empire State Building shouldn’t be visible at the far end of a street in ID4 since it’s not in the center of an interrupting block. I’m much more interested in the small, subtle things, the stuff you’d notice only if you’re a local, like (say) if a movie shows a Chicago native putting ketchup on a hot dog, or if a novel set in Los Angeles mentions the main character has only one pair of sunglasses, without this being a specific character note in either case. And I’m really interested if the movie/book/etc makes this kind of error, and yet you enjoy it anyway.

Note: I know my central example is a video game, but the topic is about fiction in general with possible examples all over the creative landscape, so I thought Cafe Society would be the most appropriate home for the discussion.

I think most large cities depicted in television, film and video games are largely misrepresented.

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched characters driving across London and passing landmarks that indicate a route best described as “madly scribbling on a map with a crayon”. Lampshaded nicely at the beginning of Paddington, BTW - the family get a cab from Paddington Station to their home in West London (a 5-10 minute drive at most) and we get a montage of them passing all the London landmarks including Tower Bridge which is at the other end of town. Mr Brown tells off the cabbie for taking such a roundabout route, who quips that he thought the young bear might want to see the sights.

Also, any house or apartment in central London or Manhattan that has spacious rooms is automatically suspect.

Paddington includes an example of the ‘Steam Train in England’ trope, that appears in a lot of US depictions of the UK. Sure, we have a lot of preserved railways (119 in England alone, by one count) but they don’t represent the majority of our transport system by any means.
(Nevertheless Paddington - and especially Paddington 2 - is bloody brilliant).

Where do you start? Often the city or region in the story is somewhere completely different. Places in the former Czechoslovakia often stand in for German or Austrian locales (such as Amadeus, set in Vienna), and Finland often does double duty for anything Russian. And “Seven years in Tibet” was shot in South America, AFAIK, in Peru. The terrain at least looks very similar, speaking from having been in Nepal and up to the Tibetan border.

I’ll leave it to an American to comment on “Cold mountain.”

In the 1980’s TV nuke movie “The Day After”, they had the KU Med Center/hospital located in Lawrence KS with the rest of the University of Kansas. The Med Center is actually located in Kansas City KS on a separate campus. Most people wouldn’t know or care except for the locals.

They also showed missile launches being visible from the KU campus, but as far as I know the closest missile silos are/were way over in Missouri on the other side of Kansas City.

In John Wick 2, he somehow managed to take a NJ Path train from World Trade Center in the Oculus to Canal and Rector Street stations (IIRC). Any station after WTC not in New Jersey would have been incorrect.

Just generally, films always seem to have characters taking random tours around New York City for no reason. Like they are taking a limo from their apartment on the Upper West Side to some fancy party in Midtown, which should be a straight shot. But then it’s a montage where first they’re on Fifth Avenue, then they are in Soho, then they are travelling across the Brooklyn Bridge, then they are marveling at the giant billboards in Times Square, now they are under the arch in Washington Square, then they are on Liberty Island, and then finally at their event at the Time Warner building overlooking Central Park, all within 15 minutes.

For the most part, people from New Orleans do not speak with Cajun accents as depicted in many shows.

In one season of 24, Jack Bauer declares that he will take “the 355” to go to from DC to Virginia. But referring to highways with the definite article is a California thing, and there is no 355 that goes from DC to Virginia, as far as I know.

The second X-files movies supposedly took place in West Virginia, but the establishing shots are of huge mountains covered in ice and snow.

The TV show Emergence was set in my hometown of Southold, NY. The only thing they got right were the logos on the police cars.

Other than a few establishing shots in the first episode, nothing looked anything like the town (the show was shot in New Jersey, which I actually understand, since there was really no place to house the crew). But they were driving into New York city like it was 20 minutes away (it’s more like two hours), had a boat traveling directly out from a harbor to the ocean (they would have hit land after twenty minutes). They called the roads “Route 25” and “Route 27,” which are technically correct, but no one living there ever calls them that (they are “Main Road” and “North Road”). The police station is next to the library (they’re about five miles apart). The terrain was nothing like what it looks like on the North Fork.

I don’t understand why they even needed to set it there – the story would have worked (well, it didn’t work, but you know what I mean) anywhere.

After seeing all this, I knew the show would fail. The lack of attention to detail showed up in the plot: plotlines were dropped, characters suddenly reappeared acting completely differently. They established one person as the villain, killed him and replaced him with another, then had her helping out the good guys. There were a dozen contradictory hints as to what the main mystery was.

They supposedly asked the producers of Lost for advice, and were told to make sure they knew where they were going from the start. They ignored the advice completely.

It was frustrating because it had an excellent cast, but they kept jerking them around with a Gee-whiz plot.

And Minnesotans do not speak like they have us depicted in the Fargo series.

A more subtle inaccuracy was in The Cosby Show, which was set in New York. Cosby mentions driving on the freeway.

“Freeway” is a California term. I can’t think of anything named “Freeway” in the New York City area (or in New England). “Parkway” is the generic term (even though it refers to a specific type of road, but you’ll see “Expressway,” “Highway,” “Turnpike,” and “Thruway.”

In one historical film I watched, a character mounted his horse in Mystic Seaport, CT and rode off down the main street in Williamsburg.

This is beyond the “You can’t get there by taking a left on Route One” issues I have with anything set in Connecticut. (Btw, despite what you see in movies, very few people in Connecticut run a charming bed and breakfast or live in mansions.)

And they both have llamas!

I live in North Carolina and I can attest that the geography in the book is accurate. I can’t tell you about the movie because I haven’t seen it.

It’s subtle, because The Matrix never says in which city it’s set. However, characters mention street names like “Wacker” and “Halstead” and “Van Buren”, which strongly suggests the city is Chicago. All fine, except there are shots of characters running up hilly streets. Chicago isn’t “my” city, but I lived there long enough to know that the downtown area is as flat as a pancake.

A writer for the Island Free Press, a newspaper in the North Carolina Outer Banks commented on a scene in Nights in Rodanthe where Diane Lane is surprised by wild horses running through the town. The writer noted that any resident of Rodanthe would be shocked to see wild horses; the only place Banker ponies roam free is the town of Corolla, some 60 miles north of Rodanthe.

You betcha!

The machines don’t know that. :wink:
I don’t live in Philadelphia but this is not even subtle.

I lived and worked in Long Beach, CA for about 20 years and watching Nicolas Cage’s Gone in 60 Seconds is a weird time/space distortion trip. The Delorian in Back to the Future has nothing on Nick’s Shelby Mustang. It leaves the parking garage of a landmark building downtown and enters a street five miles away. It jumps the LA river and somehow ends up landing on the other side of the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. In the hundreds of cuts edited together to create that chase scene, I don’t think a single one was shot within ten blocks of the one that precedes or follows it.

Lodge 49 was a fun show also located in Long Beach, but all of the “local” surf spots (there are literally none in Long Beach) look like someplace in Malibu or Palos Verde.

The opening shot of The Bedroom Window – filmed in Baltimore – is of the George Washington statue in Mount Vernon. It’s facing the wrong way. And it’s not the real statue! The rest of the movie is chock-a-block with geographic mistakes.

I remember when the film was out I heard that exact compliant from some Minnesotans at a national convention held up there. Hilariously those complaints were voiced exactly like Marge Gunderson. You guys just don’t know you sound like that.