Successful/ known under both maiden and married name.

Compared to Victoria Beckham, I think she accomplished at least 375 kiloPoshes after she was married.

Rosanne had her name legally changed to one name only. I heard her say the she got sick of explaining herself in airports (particularly overseas) so she decided to go back to Rosanne Barr.

yep that’s what prompted the sudden recall!

Actually Gahagan won a primary against the owner of a Los Angeles newspaper who coined that term. Nixon saw no reason not to use it. But that was not enough. He also referred to her as the conduit between Joseph Stalin in the Kremlin and the U.S. Congress.

Cherie Booth/Blair apparently goes back and forth between both her maiden and married name.

John Ono/Lennon? (“Ono-Lennon”? I remember they took each other’s names.)

John Winston Lennon legally changed his middle name to “Ono,” but got his green card under the name of John Winston Ono Lennon.

Yoko Ono has always been Yoko Ono.

Linda Eastman was a very successful rock photographer before becoming Linda McCartney of Wings.

Not to mention his hardcore band’s name John Cougar Concetration Camp :slight_smile:

Ronnie Spector had a minor hit “Try Some, Buy Some.” Good tune, thats worth a download.

Pamela Anderson/Lee comes to mind. And I don’t know if Jack Gillis was particularly well-known before he took his wife’s name, but he’s done pretty well as Jack White.

Can we count performers changing their names for reasons other than marriage? Because if we can, Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali and Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam would both qualify.

More or less true. She was only famous as HRC but Hilary Rodham, pre-Bill, had an excellent reputation as an attorney in the Watergate investigations. Not a public name but one known as highly competent to those “in the know.” Honorable mention, perhaps?

Clare Booth Luce was a well known writer who married the editor of Time Magazine. As Clare Booth she wrote “The Women” and other plays and books as well as political essays. As Clare Booth Luce she campaigned for every Republican candidate from Eisenhower to her death ands served as Ambassador to Italy among other posts.

Christie Perfect was well known as a member of Sugar Shack before she married John McVie, and became Christie McVie, which led to supergroup Fleetwood Mac

Linda Day George
Sharon Marie Tate Polanski
Farrah Fawcett Majors

Harriet Nelson first gained fame as Harriet Hilliard, singer with Ozzie Nelson’s band. They actually worked together for several years before their marriage.

Mary I of England was pretty renowned both before and after her marriage to Philip of Spain, although of course surnames as such were not such a big issue for her.

Also, the popular journalist Nellie Bly (the pen name of Elizabeth Jane Cochrane) became the noted industrialist and inventor Elizabeth Cochrane Seaman in her widowhood, before going back into journalism after her company’s bankruptcy. Not sure if she counts as literally known under her “maiden” name, since the name in question was a pen name.