Suggest some vodka or gin cocktails for me to try

I’m looking for some new drink choices. Tanqueray and tonic, with lime is a favorite as well as both gin and vodka martinis, straight up.

I used to drink vodka/cranberry when I was younger, I’m thinking some of the flavored vodkas might go quite well with cranberry.

Here’s the best Vodka cocktail

Vodka on the Rocks

Ingredients:
Stolichnaya vodka (unflavored, ideally 100 proof)
Ice

Directions:
Put ice in glass
Pour vodka over ice
Drink
Repeat

How about making limoncello?

Vodka cocktails are kind of pointless really… since it has no flavor and is essentially alcohol and water, you can mix it with anything.

Gin on the other hand, has a huge number of great cocktails in which it is the main spirit.

Things like the Pegu Club, Singapore Sling, Tom Collins, Corpse Reviver, Negroni, Gimlet, etc…

For simplicity’s sake, I’d say to start with the Tom Collins and Gimlet, and see where you go from there.

Tom Collins

1 1/2 oz gin
1 oz lemon juice (fresh, not realemon)
3/4 oz simple syrup
soda water

Shake the first 3 ingredients, and put in a collins glass (tall glass, not a pint glass) with ice, Top off with soda water. (it’s essentially a sparkling lemonade with gin)

Gimlet

2 oz gin
1 oz Rose’s Lime Juice (or other lime cordial)

Shake together, and top with soda water if you want.

Finally, here’s a great site for cocktail recipes: http://www.cocktaildb.com

If you’ll tolerate flavored vodkas, I totally love Skyy ginger vodka and pink grapefruit juice over ice. A splash of soda, mint sprig, very refreshing.

Not only do I tolerate them, I’m interested in trying them, so thanks!

+1 to the gimlet. You have to say ‘gin gimlet’ I find when ordering it someplace, though. I don’t know how I started drinking white Russians but it was before that movie (having been through bartending school one summer didn’t hurt though). Take a pint glass, put some ice in it, half fill with vodka, and split the rest with equal parts coffee liqueur and whole milk. Nutritious and delicious.

Oh, ‘pink gin’ – I read about these in David niven’s books a bunch. Don’t remember what’s in them. And the skip run and go naked – a boilermaker with vodka instead of whiskey.

My favorite cocktail with more than two ingredients is the Vodka Collins. Four cherries, please.

You write for DiSaronna, don’t you? :wink:

I see they are a producer of liquers. I assume you mean that they publish drink recipes that consist primarily of their product. I just like my vodka to be straight, potent, Russian, and cold. Keep it in a freezer and the ice is unneccesary.

Caesar or bloody Mary, depending on your geography. Try it with the cucumber flavored vodka.

Pink gin is traditionally Plymouth gin with a bunch of Angostura bitters, making it a sort of pink color.

I discovered dirty martinis not too long ago—vodka and olive juice. I’ve been meaning to start the thread What can I do with all these olives?

I over-did it once with flavored vodka, and can’t do it anymore. Vodka flavored vodka for me only. And it has to taste like vodka. None of the fancy stuff, which I can’t taste once mixed. I drink Smirnoff. And not to sound like a complete alkie, but don’t overlook the time proven recipe of vodka and kool-aid. Okay, I’m an alkie.

I like tri-polar’s recipe,too. But with Smirnoff

Yeah, sure. But have you ever had a pink gin hold the gin because the liquor store was closed? Now that’s amore.

Make peanut flavored vodka, when its ready put together a shot of the vodka and a shot of creme de cacao. And you have a reese’s peanut butter cup shooter!

Holy shit, you’re a fucking genius. How do you infuse vodka with peanut flavor? Raw unsalted peanuts in everclear maybe, then dilute to 80 proof? Wait. Peanuts, have oil, where’s the flavor going to get in. This is a lab experiment in the making.

The Alaskan

2 oz. London Dry Gin
1/2 oz. Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz. Dry Sherry
Dash of Orange Bitters

You can omit either the sherry or the bitters. Recipes range from Gin and Chartreuse only, to those two plus one of the others, to all four.

The most effete recipes insist on Yellow Chartreuse, really good gin, and nothing else. YMMV.

Mix and match to your liking. Myself, I love a hint of orange bitters in the drink.

I like roasted unsalted peanuts personally. Just throw some into your vodka, wait 1-2 weeks, strain, and enjoy! Rinse and repeat for any other flavors you want to infuse your vodka with. Black pepper and mint vodkas are two of my personal favorites.

My favorite vodka cocktail is the Moscow Mule (though I prefer it with ginger ale rather than ginger beer).

You’ll be unlikely to find a bar that serves it unless you have one that caters to a Japanese clientele (although it’s popularity died out in the US decades ago, it’s easily within the top 3 or 4 cocktails most widely available in Japan.)