Suggestion: restore nested quoting

As I said at the beginning of the year,

While I’d love to hope that everyone could get up to speed with their vB coding skills, I’ve seen enough bad hand coding to know it’s hopeless. (If folks can’t get *bold right, even when there’s a button to do it for them, more complicated coding ain’t gonna happen! :()

Couple of questions (the answers to, I’m betting, are “It’s possible, but it requires an real hack to the boards code.”);

It appears to me the major objection to nested quotes is the way they get coded. Not clearly seeing where who’s quotes begin and end, and the way they display (the “thread tunnel” thing).

I’m guessing that adding an extra button for nested quoting isn’t a possibility?

Is there a way to limit the nesting depth, shorten the tunnels.

Is it possible to change the way the multi-quote function works? Instead of the multi-quote appearing in the order they were clicked have them appear in the order they were posted?
Nested quoting with no nesting, by hand.

Is there a way strip out only poster quotes tags ({QUOTE=xxxxx;########}) while leaving regular quote tags ({QUOTE}) alone? This would end the problem of losing quoted material within a post, no more having to copy and paste. (This is the one feature of nested quoting that I’m pretty sure would be universally seen as a keeper.)

CMC fnord!
BTW I’m quite proud of my vB coding skillz and I fucked up a nested quote earlier. I had to replace the {QUOTE=xxxxx;########} post number into a different post in a different tab to figure out where my bad delete was.

If those of us that know this kinda stuff (thanks Mangetout),
[

](testing colours - About This Message Board - Straight Dope Message Board)
is possible can still have problems, then …