Suggestions for a new weekend hobby with the wife (NEED ANSWER FAST!)

Strip beer pong.

We bowled a lot on the Wii, it was fun for a bit but neither of us really liked bowling to begin with.

I’ve gotten used to it over the years. Maybe the first 8 years it grated but now I’m embraced ennui.

A little expensive, and we don’t have a lot of room. :frowning: We’ve tried it before though. She doesn’t trust me to build something that doesn’t wobble. When she tries to build something, I have to stand nearby and explain why the bolts are funny looking, which tool to use, which side is front and which is back, etc.

We’ve thought about volunteering, but usually there’s a specific time commitment. We’d prefer something where we could control the time, start/finish when we want, etc.

We tried ping pong and tennis. My wife refuses to hit anything where she has to take one step in any direction. The ball has to be hit perfectly in line with her swing or she lets it go. I think the last time we tried tennis, I won by like infinity + 1 points.

My husband had to do the same, but I think that was the fun part for him.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any puzzles over 10K pieces. Have a link? I did do a 6K map puzzle which took a year, and my wife nearly killed me for taking up the table in the sun room before I was done. I much prefer 1K or 2K puzzles now, which go a lot faster. She has hinted she has a bigger one for me when I retire and (maybe) have more time.

By smaller pictures, I assume you mean a puzzle with independent pictures as opposed to photmosaic puzzles like this? Those are nasty in small sizes, and I can’t imagine a 10K one.

ETA: Is your puzzle the one set in a Renaissance hall with many paintings on the walls and ceilings? That one I’ve seen in catalogs - very appealing.

This one. Box says 1k but it felt like 10k.

Got it. I have one or two in my pile, and they are going after all my other ones. Nasty beasts. (I started one of the space shuttle taking off - abandoned ship not far in.)

Join the Swinger/Bondage scene. It’s nearly free, just some plastic covers for the furniture and a bottle of booze.

Looks like she is comfortable doing not much, why don’t you take up something that does not involve her? Your life does not have to revolve around doing whatever she says. You might be surprised that she may just join in,

That’s pretty much the entire rest of the week. I think our relationship has improved tremendously by spending these 10 hours or less on the weekends doing something together that isn’t housework.

You may have to do something that’s initially outside your or her comfort zone. She’s a bad gardener? Then maybe she can plan the garden and be with you while you plant it. Don’t like bowling? Commit to going three times before you write it off. No decision is irrevocable- try something and if you really don’t like it… stop and try something else.

The real adventure may be in the trying, rather than the doing. Could make for some hysterical memories years from now.

Yeah, this looks like it’s true after all. If my wife doesn’t suggest it, I guess she doesn’t want to do it. :frowning:

Edit: My wife said, when she says “no” that actually means something else, and I should figure out what she means.

She also says that there is a big list on her wall that says what she needs to do so that could be our hobby. #1 is taxes. So that’s our plan this weekend. #2 is renewing my passport.

:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I chime in with Geocaching. Great fun! Don’t even need a GPS, GoogleMaps will do in an urban setting… or the iPhone app.

For games nothing beats Backgammon or Score Four.

I was going to suggest card games, but perhaps not if she’s a sore loser.

Horse riding Round here it’s expensive, but maybe not everywhere.

Cooking. Select one unusual dish per week and do the shopping, preparing, cooking and eating together. Not so unusual that you can’t find ingredients, obviously.

Well, that’s understandable. She’ll probably be a lot more fun when the work gets done.

Horse riding leads to lessons which leads to shows which leads to buying a horse.

It is expensive - and I have a hole in my wallet to prove it.

It sort of sounds like how sex leads to college tuition. :wink:

Actually she was standing over my shoulder as I wrote that post. She made me change it three times.

…I tried to spell “SOS” in morse code with sad faces.

How about hiking? You can do short nearby hikes, or longer day hikes.

House projects? Paint a room in a day!

Dh and I have a standing Thursday night cribbage match. Just the two of us at a nearby coffee shop. We only stay an hour or so (enough for two games) but we both really look forward to that hour-long date. Cribbage is awesome.

We’re going with the origami idea, thanks all. :slight_smile: