Summer books -- what'cha reading?

[QUOTE=koeeoaddi]
Why does everything on hold at the library always come in on the same day? Waiting for me right now:

The Master Butchers Singing Club by Louise Erdrich
[/QUOTE]
Ooo! You’re kidding. This is what I’m reading right now, while procrastinating on The Crimson Petal and the White. It’s very good so far–lyrical like her stuff is. I’m in awe of how authors can create these whole worlds with such detail. Duh, I know that’s a fundamental skill for a novelist but I have so little creativity I am always impressed.

[QUOTE=AuntiePam]
This looks yummy, and will be the fourth book I’ve bought today.

I’ve never read Russian horror or fantasy. Any cultural differences?
[/QUOTE]

Does this officially make me an enabler? Sweet!

I really enjoyed it as the characters were very believable and likable. I found there was more focus on their frustration with the bureaucracy of the respective ‘watches’ than mindless blood and gore. (I stopped reading horror ages ago when the gore took over!) I look forward to picking up the next in the series, Day Watch.

I’ve now moved onto The Fort at River’s Bend by Jack Whyte. I’ve been slowly meandering my way through his Camolud Chronicles. They’re great books but not overly gripping unlike some series where I just HAVE to get that next book right away.

Next will be: Midnight Tides by Steve Erikson. Now that’s a series that owns my soul.