Summer Eulogies

Dearly beloved, we’re gathered here today to say a few words about the recently departed. Anyone who wishes to do so can pay their respects to the victims.

Felicity, I never intended to start watching you, but I did because you were on after Dawson’s Creek, and I didn’t have the will to turn off the TV. Within a few weeks you became more than a show that was just on, you became must see. For four years I watched as relationships got screwed up and college situations got out of control even as strong friendships were built. You went through some rough times, being put on hiatus for months at a time, but those of us who truly loved you waited for your return with anticipation. Though I know you are gone, you will live on, in syndication, on the WE channel this fall.

Roswell, when did it all start to go wrong? You were fantastic your first season, but drew too little notice for the network’s liking, so they said you had to change. And change is bad, since the major changes tended to alienated the original fan base. By the third season you were working your way back to your origins, but you still weren’t bringing in the $ so you were cut down in your prime. Even Tabasco sauce couldn’t bring you back, so you will be sadly missed.

Ally McBeal, I wish I’d gotten to know you sooner, since you entertained me this season. I’ll look for you on FX in August when they begin airing from the pilot again. I hope you’re in a better place now.

X-Files, what can I say that’d express how I feel about your demise? I admit we got off to a rocky start and I wrote you off for seven years, but when I fell for you eventually I fell hard, and I’m sorry I stalked you. I don’t care what anyone says, season eight made me love you, and season nine could have been worse. I will always love you and will never forget you, even if the movies don’t happen.

Would anyone like to say a few words about their favorite deceased shows?