Sunrise: are you more likeky to see it because you're awaking or because you're still awake?

I answered “still awake” because most of the times I actually see the sunrise I have stayed up all night, or occasionally woke up at 2 am, which I count as still being up because it doesn’t really feel like the next day until 3:30 am. I actually wake up between 3:30 and the dawn a couple times a month, but never actually see the sun rise.

Graveyard shift worker here - so it usually comes up during my shift.

I work mornings, so I see it because I’m waking up. If I didn’t have to keep a schedule for work, it would be the other way around. I’m a night owl at heart.

I can’t really pick either - I get up at 5 am to take my morning medication, and I have insomnia so most days I am either already up or just getting up, and on those rare occasions when I am up most of the night and manage to get to sleep at 3 or 4 am, I am getting up in an hour anyway.

I do much of my sleeping between 6 am - 10 am, and 2 pm to 4 pm. My normal bedtime is 930 pm, and I get a couple hours sleep then as well. The wonders of clonidine at 5 am, 1 pm and 9 pm. :rolleyes:

I wake up before dawn frequently in the winter and I rarely go to bed after dawn in the summer.

It is really easy, as others have said, to see the sunrise in the winter. I mean, there have been plenty of times when I have awoken when it was still dark, and not that early either.

Yup, I voted “still up” because I’m a night owl at heart, but it’s really seasonal: in the winter I will be up before the sunrise on at least the weekdays. I am much, much more likely to be still-awake at any given 4AM or 5AM than already-awake, though.

Because I’ve been awake for hours, if it’s this time of year (summer). Because I’m waking up if it’s winter. I hibernate…

I wake up sometimes at 5 or 6 AM, not because my alarm clock goes off but because I just wake up for some reason. But I almost always go back to sleep.

I’m regularly up past midnight or 1AM, but only a few times have I stayed awake all night to see the sunrise.

Until I had a child, I almost never slept before 3:00am. Now that I have one, I rise at 3:30am in order to get some housework done before she wakes.

it’s the absolute only thing I miss about delivering papers. The end of my route was in a water community and most mornings I would get to see the most beautiful sun rises over the water.
Now I sleep through them.

I usually go to bed before 3am. But sometimes I have to get up early enough for work that I will see the sunrise. I don’t really have a consistent schedule. I hate sleeping past about 11am, though, so I almost never stay awake until morning.

My current shift means I have wake up at 5am.

Seldom see it because I’m usually just getting to sleep. If I’m working a morning shift, I don’t notice it because I’m rushing around getting ready to leave.

I start work at 7 AM, and have about a 25 minute commute, so I see the sunrise quite often during the winter months on my way in to the office.