Super Bowl eye black question

Why only on one side, for several players? And is it helpful in the evenly lighted dome?

Bump for the weekday crowd.

I noticed this near the start of the game. There were a number of players who had eye black under only one eye, some on the right, some on the left. There were also some who had a normal application under one eye and a half-hearted weak smear under the other. I can’t make sense of it.

I also started wondering if the eye black did any good in the lighting conditions in the dome.

Anybody know?

Moving to the Game Room.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I’m guessing that at a certain point, it becomes more of a “war paint” type of tradition.

There is some evidence that it might be useful in sunlight.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/db/sports/baseball-eye-black-cuts-out-glare.html

Maybe because they play a certain side of the field, and are always going to be looking over one shoulder rather than the other?

It’s purely a fashion statement. Don’t think about it too much.

I started to use it playing outside in bright sun. I also used it in domes, but it was more a superstition thing. The locker room kid would come by with it and I always had it applied. It was part of my gameday routine, and was always bothered by the slightest deviation in my routine.