Super Bowl LV Commercials Thread

Gwen Stefani’s face might be the most artificial things I’ve seen in any of the ads so far.

OK the Paramount+ promo series was kind of… odd little game of identify-that-show. But also in the mildly amusing league.

Those Paramount commercials have been running pre-Superbowl; about the third one got boring and they didn’t get better. IMHO.

The M & M’s ‘apologies’ showed humor, the Budweiser "year was a lemon’ had a moment, and the Rocket Mortgage "think you can’ was my vote for best of the first half.

And I agree, the Oatly commercial did make me remember their name…as in never buying their product ever.

Wow did they intentionally make Mike Myers and Dana Carvey look that bad, or is that just what they look like now?!

Dana Carvey turned into Churchlady IRL.

Their babies were hideous!

I think it’s just that they’ve gotten older.

Michelob Ultra ad showing people engaged in athletics with the sample from Walk on the Wild Side makes me think, What? Is this a pro-trans sports ad?

Okay, I got one good guffaw out of the Fiverr ad. Do you think Rudy watches the Super Bowl?

My man Shaggy!

Yep, that was a good one.

There actually is a fast growing market for NA beers – I’ve seen a good number of articles about it recently. I’ve had the Budweiser product and it’s pretty much what you’d expect. It’s like sparkling water with a hint of beer flavor – kind of like the fully loaded Bud.

However, the craft brew industry has come up with some good ones. I really like Athletic Brewing Company’s non-alcoholic beers. Right now, I’m drinking a Run Wild IPA. Tastes nice and hoppy, pretty similar to a real IPA, and only at 70 calories to boot. Lagunitas has their IPNA; Wellbeing brewing has a golden ale and an IPA that is commonly avaiable around here, among other styles. Brooklyn Brewery had a pretty decent one I’ve tried. I – can’t remember who – but I did find an NA chocolate stout, and that wasn’t all that great. I would have thought a stout would be easy to get a decent NA brew version of, but whatever one it was I tried, that wasn’t it.

But if all you know about NAs is O’Douls and Sharps, things have gotten a hell of a lot better. And, yes, it is driven by Millennials and health-conscious folks. I dipped my toe in them for health reasons, and I’m actually quite enjoying them. My wife, too, has stopped drinking alcoholic beers in favor of NAs for their lower caloric content. We’re both Gen Xers.

I’ve seen a few recent articles about people drinking too much during lockdown. So probably doing good corporate citizen but reminding people that Budweiser does sell beer with alcohol in it as well

Ok the Sam Adams one made me laugh.

While I’m sure you’re right, “fast growning” here is relative. The market opportunity isn’t anywhere close to big enough to justify a Super Bowl ad. I’m sticking with the corporate virtue signaling being the trump card here.

Yeah, I mean percentage-wise. It’s a growing segment, but it’s still a small %age of the overall beverage market, of course.

Here’s the most recent article I can find. Gotta get ahead of the trend, too, so I think it makes sense for Bud to pimp their NA product, as well:

I was shocked to find that a non-alcoholic version of PBR exists, too, while perusing the NA shelves at the local liquor store.

So Chrysler brings back the “Big Star talks up America” theme.

Michelob Ultra is basically just seltzer already, yeah?

This only the 4th or 5th time someone has made the tired joke about macrobrews. Nice work Seinfeld.

I wasn’t really joking. Michelob Ultra, specifically, is like nothing.