Super Bowl LV Commercials Thread

Didn’t see a thread for this yet, so I figured what the hell. Stop by to discuss (make fun of) all the big money, big hype, big stars, big stupid commercials from this year’s Super Bowl. Kickoff’s in about 90 minutes so I figure the new ones will start trickling in around the top of the hour.

Links are welcome since advertisers will certainly be loading this stuff to YouTube immediately (most are probably already up in fact) so have at it.

Just to get the ball rolling, this sorta terrible and creepy ad was premiered earlier this week on Kimmel. It’ll be shown during the game sometime.

I almost forgot about the deluge of repetitive and cringey ads for the next “big” CBS show. Always the worst part of every broadcast.

“There’s something wrong with this beach!”

And right there, you know there’s some fine screenwriting. Fine for cringing.

The M&Ms commercial was amusing.

That was terrible…but my wife loves M. Night Shyamalan so I’m getting dragged to see this.

RIP Karens.

Agreed. No need to have everything be spectacular, pleasantly amusing can be good.

Possibly off-topic, but what’s with the big push for non-alcoholic beer lately?

Is this aimed at millennials or something, because I can’t imagine any established adult drinkers suddenly deciding NA Budweiser looks appealing.

I suspect it’s just good corporates citizenship. If you’re AB and you don’t have some new product to push, this kind of ad buys you some positive sentiment while still getting your brand name out there.

I thought the Will Ferrell EV ad was funny, but like the vast majority of funny “prestige” Super Bowl ads, I don’t remember what it was advertising. Some car company’s new line of electric vehicles…but which company’s?

GM…it was a Cadillac and a Hummer. But basically a brand ad more than a car promo.

The Oatly milk commercial was just weird and off-putting. It’s some kind of…oat milk? Honestly, I doubt I’d ever even try oat milk, but that commercial made it a solid lock I definitely won’t try Oatly’s.

At least I remember the brand name, so it’s got that going for it.

Well, since I remembered Will Ferrell, Keenan Thompson, Awkwafina, and the confusion between Norway, Sweden, and Finland, but didn’t remember the brand it was advertising, at all, it didn’t seem very effective. But maybe I’m an outlier, and most viewers will remember “the GM ad with the weird bearded guy.”

It’ll be on 50,000 more times, they’ll get it eventually. If the ad isn’t actively off-putting people will dig it.

It was advertising General Motors Ultium battery technology.

OTOH if the non-alcoholic beer tastes like Bud, why bother.

Well, that’s two Dopers who remember what it was advertising, so maybe I am the outlier, and it was an effective commercial.

Does GM even sell cars in Scandinavia?

I was actually multi-tasking and I missed the entire joke with Sweden. But I noticed that I really liked the design of the Caddy.