Superman's powers - How many were present originally and how were the new ones introduced?

Did he call it his Super Duper?

I don’t know if that “counts” as a new super-power, any more than would changes to Superman brought about by red kryptonite, which always affected him differently. IOW it wasn’t the one-time mention of a super power, just a plot device.

Regards,
Shodan

At least Silver Age Superman had names for his dumb powers (like “super-eating” or “super-hypnotism”). Silver Age Green Lantern would just shine a beam out of his ring that could undo anything. E.g. “The Justice League got turned into a bunch of super-babies? Well, I’ll just fix that by shining my ring on them, durr durr!”

Boo to that.

Morpheus once called Kyle Rayner’s ring a wishing ring, and I always thought that was pretty accurate. I don’t even mind the ring’s powers being unlimited in variety, so long as it was clear that as effects grew more elaborate they required more will & imagination to accomplish, and thus some things might be theoretically possible but practically undoable.

Only when he was trying hard to look like Gary Cooper.

I remember the end of the first “Titano the Super-Ape” appearance reprinted in Superman Annual #2 depicting Superman using, according to caption, “his super-imagination,” and wondering as only a 7-year-old can what sort of super-power that was.

John Byrne did that decades earlier in Superman vol 2 #2. Confronted with evidence that Clark is Superman, Luthor flat out refuses to believe someone as powerful as Superman would ever pretend to be a mere mortal.

The most interesting part of Supes’ story is how it started.

I remember reading a Superboy comic as a child, and being puzzled when Superboy mentioned his “super photographic memory”.

I’d never heard the term “photographic memory” at that point, but my Dad did have one of the early Polaroid Instamatic cameras, which fed out a photographic print from a slot at the bottom of the unit. I could only imagine that Superboy’s power must work in the same way, perhaps producing a Polaroid print from a slot in the back of his head.