Supposed loss of 1960 census data

In his column on Do CDs have a life expectancy of 10 years? from 2002, Cecil writes,

That’s not quite the story. The magnetic tapes contained microaggregate data, not the raw data, from the 1960 U.S. Census. And only 0.2% of that microaggregate data was lost due to deterioration of the tapes. From the Center for Electronic Records, at the National Archives:

What a relief! Finally, I can sleep at night.

I suspect that with today’s technology they could actually read those two tapes.
So I hope they weren’t tossed.
Modern magnetic heads are thinner and more sensitive, and thus can distinguish tape bits with some oxide flakes missing.
Remember that in 79 the individual bits were quite visible to the naked eye, not small like DVD bits.

That is, even in 1979 tape bits could be made visible to the naked eye by “developing” them with chemicals as though they were photo film. These were frequently passed around in tech schools so students had some clue what the physical basis was.

I don’t know about that. I believe IBM was up to 6250 bits per inch by then.

They could have read them with 1975 technology, too – except:

If they can’t be found, I don’t think any year’s technology will be able to read them.

Time travel?

Hmmm. Maybe that’s why they can’t be found. They shoulda left a memo.

Is it really the case that the Center for Electronic Records at the National Archives cannot spell apocryphal?