Surreal continuing story: walking through doors and passageways

…“You are the next contestant on The Price Is Right!”

Oddly enough, the man turns out to be a young Frank Sinatra.

“Starngers in the night,” he croons, “Exchanging clothing…”

I decide now is a good time to get drunk. Leaving the lobby, I walk through the large double glass doors that should lead to the night club / bar. I walk through and find myself in…

…the hotel’s night club / bar.

“How about that?” I mumble to myself. I mosey up to the bar, all the while wondering why I’m using such an archaic means of self locomotion.

“Barkeep! Scotch, neat. And a glass of ice water!”

“Sure thing, mister.”

That voice sounds familiar. Looking at the woman bartender in the dim light, I am sort of surprised to see that she is someone I’m very familiar with. It’s…

Johnny Bench?

I’m back on the pitcher’s mound talking to my catcher, Johnny Bench.

“Nice to have you back,” he says sarcastically. “Did you enjoy your trip?”

“Uh…well…I,” I stammer. Apparently hallucinations are one of the side effects of eating too much blue food.

Bench begins reviewing the pitching signals; one for a fast ball, two for a curve, and three for a screwball. Nothing too difficult to remember. I listen and try to mentally get my bearings. I wonder if an English woman like Alice knows how to play baseball–let alone shortstop.

“Okay, that shouldn’t be too mind-bending,” says Bench who is now walking back to his position behind home plate. “Just don’t think you can pitch and trip at the same time. You’re not Doc Ellis.”

I hear the players’ names announced on the loudspeaker. “Playing first base: John Olerud.” My mind wanders to the subject of Alice’s ability to play baseball. When I hear her name announced, I turn and see she’s doing Ozzie Smith-style backflips for the appreciative crowd watching from the first and second floor balconies.

“So she can do backflips,” I think to myself. “That doesn’t prove she knows how to play baseball.”

The first hitter gets in the batter’s box (which is located by a grandfather clock and a large bookcase). He’s a left-handed hitter who’s freakishly tall–well over seven feet. Bench signals for a fast ball. After feeling panicked for an endless second, I buckle down and throw a high fast one down the middle.

The very tall man hits a sharp stinger into a wide empty space between second and third base. It looks as though it’s going to be at least a double. “Oh no,” I fret to myself. “The first pitch of the game and I let a guy get into scoring position.” However, just as think they get Olivia up in the bullpen (which is located in an adjoining laundry room), Alice leaps out of nowhere and naps the ball just before it touches the ground. Out!

Alice casually lobs the ball back to me. I’m stunned. She treats it like she’s sing a nerf ball with a three-year old.

That episode ended all qualms I had about her as a ballplayer. However, if I was so stubborn and thick-headed as to still have my doubts, her play during the rest of the game would’ve further proved me wrong. In her first at bat, Alice beat out a ground ball for a base hit, stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error, and the scored our first run on a dangerously shallow fly ball. She continued to spear every hard hit ball between second and third. She effortlessly turned double plays with our second baseman, Ryne Sandberg. She also knocked in two runs with a double.

As for my performance, by the ninth inning, I allowed four hits and three walks but was leading 4 to 0.

However, in the ninth, my problems began. The arc of my first pitch, a curve, started low to the ground then, when it got to home plate, it shot up so that the batter could easily hit it into left field (by the pool table) for a triple. For the second batter of the inning, my pitch (a fastball) went low down the center before suddenly veering over to the guy’s bat and hitting it. Without having to swing, the batter got a double and scored a run. The next pitch, a screwball, got halfway to home plate before it started flitting about like a drunken gnat. Left, right, back, forth, left again, etc. (but never crossing over home plate). The pitch buzzed around in front the batter before he got annoyed and blasted it into the third story balcony (where it bounced into an open dorm room and shattered someone’s computer monitor) for a two-run homer. It was now 4 to 3.

I don’t want to go into too much detail about what happened next. Suffice to say, each subsequent pitch ended up going five feet less than the pitch before it. My last pitch of the game is a fastball that I throw with all the weight and force of my body. It travels about one inch from my hand and drops down at my feet. Since the two-run homer, I’ve loaded the bases and walked in two runs. We are now behind 5 to 4. There’s still nobody out. The crowd boos and goes into a chant of “_____ sucks!”

I’m done.

Time to bring in Olivia.

Olivia doesn’t bother with her warm-up pitches. She tosses three curves that are weakly popped up by the next three batters and caught by Bench.

It’s now the bottom of the ninth.

Vera is up first. She bunts the ball down the third base line. The other team’s catcher and third baseman wait for to roll foul but the grooves of the lobby’s wooden floor keep it fair. Vera easily makes it to first base.

Normally, the pitcher–Olivia–would be up now. But our manager–who, by now, I recognize as Lou Piniella–says he’s going to bring in a pinch hitter.

“Who?” I ask. “There’s nobody left on the bench.”

“I’ve got someone who couldn’t start due to a family emergency,” he says.

I hear the front door open and look to see who’s walked in. It’s Lorna.

“Now hitting for Olivia,” the announcer over the loudspeaker declares. “Lorna McManus.”

Lorna takes a bat and casually strolls to the batter’s box. She gets into position and waits for the pitch. It’s a low fast ball. She doesn’t swing.

“Ball one,” says the umpire who sounds like Placido Domingo.

Lorna adjusts her batting position and waits for the next pitch. It’s another fast ball but this one is a gift right down the middle. You definitely swing at this one.

Crack! The sound of the bat hitting the ball reverberates through the entire dormintory like thunder. With the force of a rocket, the ball flies over the third story balcony and crashes through the window for a game-winning home run.

After a moment’s elation, the girls and I run outside to see where the ball goes. It continues upward into the sky, over the surrounding buildings, over the glaciers, over the horizon, until it seems to land in a distant mountain range.

For a few seconds, there is total silence.

Then, a rumble can be heard in the distance. Gradually, it gets louder. We all start to wonder what this rumbling is. Soon, it grows to earth-shattering levels. We look and see that the rumbling is…

…Godzilla!!!..

The reptillian beast lumbers toward the dormitory. Then, he stops and slowly bends over until he’s within 20 feet of my face. He then reaches toward me with his claw and opens his mouth.

“This your ball?” he says while carefully holding on to the baseball with two of his fingers. It’s so small when compared to the rest of claw that it’s barely visible.

“Uh, yeah,” I say. “Well… it’s really ours.”

I feel a jab to my ribs. It’s Alice’s way of saying, “Don’t involve me in this one pal.”

“Can you be more careful when you play ball,” he tells us. “I just got new storm windows and that ball came this close to hitting one of them.” Godzilla reaches out with this other claw and with the words “this close”, makes an empty space with two of this fingers.

“We will,” I quietly promise.

“You’re just lucky it bounced off the shudder and landed in the birdbath,” he says. With that, he drops the ball from his claw into my hand.

“Thanks,” I say.

“Your welcome,” says Godzilla. “Just don’t make me have to come back here again.” He then gets back up, turns, and starts heading back to where he came from.

We start hearing the rumbling again. However, it doesn’t seem to be coming from Godzilla.

“Do you hear that rumbling?” I yell to the monster. “Do you know what that is?”

“Hell if I know,” he replies. “I first heard it when I was coming over here. In fact, I was going to ask you.”

Godzilla ambles past the college buildings and past the glaciers until he’s just a dot on the horizon. All the while we keep hearing the rumbling noise. It’s getting louder.

Finally, after suppressing our fear, Alice and I start to walk away from the dormitory toward where the rumbling noise is coming from. We soon find out. It’s…

…Fat Albert!
“Hey…Hey…HEY! Bill Cosby’s childhood friend, who weighs 2000 pounds, ambles in. “Is the game still going on? Old Weird Harold said you might need a pinch hitter!”
“No, Albert,” I answer. Lorna just won the game. But if you’d like to get in a game of One Old Cat in the gym…”
Fat Albert strides off to the college gymnasium and I wonder what he will register on the Richter scale.
Meanwhile, Alice, cooling her heels after her part in winning the game, perks up. Her cell phone, which plays the opening to “Rule, Britannia” when it rings, sounds now. She takes the call, and calls Lorna over.
Lorna smiles, and a tear runnels down her cheek. She gives some happy sobs and then wipes her face with a napkin. “Jock is all right! They set his leg and he’s resting comfortably.” Alice and I impulsively hug her. Johnny Bench offers to take her to the hospital; we’ll be along later.

A few minutes later I glance out the window and notice that the cold has ebbed; I no longer see “glaciers” or other manifestations of an Ice Age. In fact, Alice, Sally, Vera, Betty, Olivia–and Phoebe, who has returned–are wearing gingham tank-tops and faded denim cut-offs.
Then Professor Fields comes in. He goes to Alice and tells her, “You may be able to file a civil suit against John McGowan, Ms. Terwilliger. Here’s your copy of the papers the Board of Trustees issued. Come to my faculty office next week and we’ll plan this out.”
Alice has pretty much recovered emotionally from McGowan’s lecherous offer. This is for the better, I think. The more sober and clear her mood, the better she’ll do when pursuing a civil action against the man.
Now I’ve sat down on a long couch, and then the six women are facing me. The problems Alice and Lorna had; the Ice Age vignette; Godzilla as an irritated neighbor; Jock’s mishap…I’m tired. The six women are quite close to me–and maybe it’s just male predilection, maybe even lust. Whatever, it gets the better of me and I pass out.
When I come to, I’m still with the six women. But now…

we’re all in some sort of conference room. I’m still on the couch but the women are all seated around a long table.

“Join the meeting,” says Alice. “It’s about to begin.” She then reaches over and pulls out a chair next to her and signals for me to sit there.

I sit down in the chair next to Alice. A door opens and in walks…

…the phone booth was not a phone booth, but really a glass coffin.

…so, I sit down next to Alice, in a glass coffin, which is then closed and sealed. Roses are placed on top of the coffin.

Alice says, “Hey, come on guys! I mean, who died here, huh?”

Racous laughter fills the room…

and I hear door open again. The raucous laughter dies down until only the sinister chuckling of a man remains. There’s somebody new in the room. I look up and see…

a purple orange! It occurs to me that this undermines the very relation of color-fruit name ever school kid cherishes. The orange (or the purple) isn’t a person, as was originally thought, but a Michael Jackson impersonator. I stand up, do my very best moonwalk, and head away, away, away. Jackson takes out a boombox, and I recognize the high-pitched squeaks of Thalia, who probably still has a wristwatch on her right hand. The room is getting way too trippy for me, so I jump right out the window, where…

…I bounce right back in, thanks to a high stack of rubber mats from the college gymnasium, whose hardwood floor is being refinished.
I notice an unusual artifact hanging on a nearby wall–a samurai sword, about two feet long. I have no traning in samurai ritual, but I sure know about slicing fruit. And then I see a chilling sight: The other six women–including Lorna–are, like Alice, inside glass coffins, and covered with roses in a funeral-type arrangement.
And advancing on me, from the other end of the dorm common room, is the purple orange and some other miscolored fruit: black banana, red watermelon, white grapefruit, and so on.
Well, it’s come to this. If you killed those women–once again I am boiling with anger. You crazy fruits may get me but I’ll dispatch a few of you before I cash in!
Brandishing the naked sword I charge the fruits. The largest, the red watermelon, is about the size of a water heater; the other fruits are proportionate. “AAAAAAHHHH!” I yell, swinging the sword.
Well, it was just like cutting lemons for lemonade. (In fact there were two plaid lemons.) I slashed at the fruits; once I cut the fruits in half they just lay there lifeless, like the Golem–and regained normal size and color.
Then I turned sadly to face the coffins. But just as I sliced the purple orange–the last fruit to advance on me and the last I hadn’t already sliced in two–I heard voices from the coffins, as if the women were awakening from a deep sleep. They push the rose stalks (oddly enough, the stalks were thornless) aside. They were all wearing shrouds, which they shake off. I am ecstatic to see them revived, but as the six nude women approach me they are angry.
“What’s the matter with you?! Playing with swords while God knows what happened to us!” I am too shaken to answer.
But Thalia isn’t.
“He wasn’t playing with swords. That cut-up fruit, believe it or not, was what put you in the coffins with the shrouds and roses. Once he cut up the evil fruit you woke up.”
“Evil fruit?! What the hell–”
“If you don’t believe it, look at this.” Thalia shows them her camcorder. "I got it all on tape beginnning when he bounced back to the room. Thalia doesn’t wait for an answer. She pops the videocassette into an A-V player in the room, and the six naked women, and Thalia, and I, watch. They gasp as they see me turn the marauding creatures into fruit salad.
I have been sitting glumly in a chair ever since the women started to bawl me out. Now, of course, they do a turnaround.
In comes Jock Dumfries, with a cast on his leg and a cane. He seems quite chipper despite his mishap. He strides (as well as he can) over to Lorna, her eyes swimming with tears…he says in his thick Scottish burr…

“Very impressive, Mr. _____.”

“It wasn’t anything,” I say modestly. “No matter what the color or size, cutting fruit is cutting fruit.”

Lorna is still crying but her tears are tears of anger as much as they are tears of fear.

“Where the hell were you!” she petulantly asks. “We were at home sitting right next to each other on our couch, some purple orange bursts in and grabs me without you putting up a fight! Couldn’t you have done anything?”

“Well, you are forgetting I do have a broken leg,” Jock apologetically explains. “That did kind of limit my movability.”

“You could of hit it with you cane! That could’ve at least slowed it down so we could’ve gotten away. It was just a big purple orange! Instead, it drags me out of our home, drugs me, strips me naked, and stuffs me in glass coffin where I and the other girls would’ve surely died were it not for _____!”

“I was in too much shock,” says Jock timidly. “I’m truly sorry. If there’s anything I can do…”

“Bow down to me!” demands Lorna. “Bow down to me!”

Jock struggles with his cast and cane and gets into position to bow while Lorna picks up one of the shrouds and wraps it around her like a sarong. I notice the other woman picking up the shrouds and wrapping it around themselves in similar fashion.

As Jock and Lorna try to make-up, I wonder if this is all over. Then, I hear Alice.

“This is just a hunch,” Alice says to me. “But I don’t think the fruits were the ones responsible for this. There’s somebody else–a mastermind. And, he’ll certainly try something again–real soon.”

“Like now.” says a new voice just outside the doorway. We all turn around and see a man enter the room. He’s…

clutching what looks like one of those plastic oscars you can buy in the Disney store. I turn to face him, but he’s shrouded in thick shadows. I pick up my sword and attempt to slice through the sludge, but a crowd of venus flytraps barrs my path.

“Stupid mortal,” the man says, in a thick accent that fluctuates from Irish to Jamaican. He steps out of the shadows, and I recognize him: its nerdy Clark Kent. “After years of being so close to the good guy, I’m fed up!” he shouts, and I stifle a laugh at his crazy accent. He hears it, and begins to throw a tantrum. Using my sword, I singlehandedly close the venus flytraps.

“Calm down, Clark!” Alice screams, feigning terror. She walks up to the reporter, making provocative gestures. I slouch my head, wishing that I cuold have another turn. It’s been a couple of posts since, and I’m getting kind of horny. So, with clark kent taken care of, the flytraps disappear, and the smog is cleared. I put on my pirate hat, take an oscar for my performance, and embark on a new journey. Unfortunately, I went through door number 2. The annoying voice of Rod Roddy comes on, and I’m…

on a stage in a huge auditorium (or stadium). In back of me is a band consisting of a drummer, bass player, guitar, and keyboard player. In front of me is a crowd consisting of tens of thousands of people all loudly chanting my name. A roadie hurries out and hands me an electric guitar–some kind of Les Paul model. A feeling of exhilaration rushes over me before I realize, in terror, that I can’t sing and I can’t play guitar.

I have to delay this so I can escape (or, at least, get my head together).

“Good evening,” I say into the microphone. “Say! Are you ready to rock?” (Nothing like cliched rock concert behavior to pad things out.)

“YES!” yells the crowd.

“I can’t hear you!” I respond. “ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?”

“YESSS!”

“You know, I’m STILL not quite sure I heard a ‘yes’,” I say with an irritatingly snotty attitude. “ARE…YOU…READY…TO…ROCK?”

“YESSSSSSS!” I can tell the crowed is getting sick of all this. Time to try something else.

“WELL THEN,” I scream. “LET’S…meet the other members of the band.”

I turn and walk over to the band. I’m even more curious to meet them than the audience is.

I decide to introduce the bass player first. As I get closer, I see that…

…my winsome, even timorous manner is going nowhere. But for the first time I get a careful look at the musicians.
The bass player is Dick Smothers.
The drummer is my sister Janet.
The guitarist is Vickie Sanders, a friend from high school who is a positive knockout (even at 52).
At the keyboard is an elderly friend of mine named Katie Roker, who plays classical music and pop stuff with equal flair.
This is heartening. And I feel a sense of creativity, with my confidence further bolstered by whom I see in the first row:
Alice Terwilliger.
Jock and Lorna–reconciled. :slight_smile:
Sally, Betty, Olivia, Vera, and Phoebe.
The married couples mentioned earlier in the thread–the Sharps, the Oranjebooms, the Bradleys, the Browns, the Blondas.
And Samantha!!
With this confidence, I am running on all eight cylinders. I decide to give the audience a special treat–favorite rock songs, each with at least one misheard lyric!
*Well, since she put me down there’s been owls pukin’ in my bed!" * (“Help Me Rhonda”)
“'Scuse me while I kiss this guy!” (“Purple Haze”)
“Her ears is all right” (“Little Honda”)
“Life would be ecstasy, You and me and Leslie” (Groovin’")
“Dirty deeds…dunder jeep” (you remember)
The audience roars. Then I make way for the instrumentalists, who do musician stuff without me accompanying them. They play their hearts out, but the hearts get right back in. It’s hard to play to an audience of 25,000 rowdy fans, but they and I seem to do so so well. And we performers enjoy it too.
After a few encores (including some audience requests for more misheard lyrics :D) we call it a night, to thunderous applause from the audience. The unmarried young women–in the front row–throw panties, etc., on the stage, and some men toss their underwear too! It’s been a great night and we regret that it must end.
The emcee comes out and hands us performers our share of the take–$25,000 apiece. Katie, 83, doesn’t want to take the money but we happily talk her into it.
After the show, the performers have a party backstage. Alice, Jock, and Lorna, and the unmarried women I mentioned, are invited. I notice Alice is clinging to me in dead earnest…I must really have attracted this dear young English woman. :slight_smile:
Then Dickie Smothers introduces his brother Tom, and we performers greet him with enthusiasm.
Tom motions towrad the wide door in the back of the wings. We open it and…

head outside toward a large blue limo. However, after we get inside the car and shut the doors, we hears the locks ominously click. We hear a menacing laugh and look at the driver and see…

Timothy Leary!
As if that isn’t enough, there are psychedelic swirls outside; with bippies, hippies, bellbottom jeans, and peace signs; and a spirited rendition of “The Beat Goes On” is played by a huge marching band that sounds like it took the wrong turn from the Rose Parade. Sally says, “Good Lord! We’ve hit a time warp to the Sixties!” “Time Warp” seems apt, as I also observe several people who seem to be characters from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We’re driving right by this in the big limo! Then the erudite beauty Phoebe Atwood comments…

…“A duck’s quack won’t echo, and NO ONE KNOWS WHY!!!”

I had to shoot her, poor thing.

But, then, I exit the taxi, and the Drew Carey Show location shot, and end up surrounded by tall wheat. Really tall. And blowing like waves in the wind. I must be in Kansas of the early 20th century is all I can think.

Not seeing a building anywhere, I randomly head off in that direction…

…Where I find an unoccupied house, which, from its appearance, has been deserted for about two weeks. No damage, rotting, or serious wear, just dusty furniture and slightly grimy windows. The temperature is about 65 degrees.
And with me, of course, is Alice.
She had promised something very personal to me when I helped her win her action against that dreadful professor John McGowan. :mad: And she has stayed close to me ever since we went backstage.
It’s late afternoon now, and in the sunlight coming in through the windows, I can see her pupils have enlarged—difficult to tell with those brown irises of hers. And I sense in other ways I what she wants.
“Well, here’s the bedroom,” she says, and I can sense happy anticipation in her voice. We get inside. She wastes no time stripping herself stark naked and lying on the bed on her back–with a look that tacitly demands I follow suit. No objection here, I think.
I mount her. We slip our glasses off and set them on the night table. We are quick about it–fondling, kissing, coupling, all the while holding each other in a close embrace as if there’s nothing in the world but the two of us. Somehow I sense Alice has experienced some past unhappiness and is immensely relieved at this sexual encounter, as a means of signifying a close in an unhappy episode.
We come–simultaneously. We moan and scream with delight. Then we thank each other profusely–and both break down crying–not in grief but as a release of hitherto pent-up emotions. Alice explains what had happened–now sure she can trust me.
Before the Terwilligers left London, Alice had had a very unhappy adolescence. She was adored by her parents, and protected by her two older brothers. Still, she had suffered constant emotional abuse–and worst of all, came extremely close to being raped by an uncle. She and I both shed tears at this.
We finally pull ourselves together, and wash up and get dressed. We leave the farmhouse, cleaning up after ourselves. Out in front, to our surprise, Tom Smothers’ limo pulls up, with all the same people inside. They seem to know what we were doing but don’t mention it.
The limo goes through a short tunnel. On the other side…

…We EXPLODE out of the tunnel into full sunlight. A rocket ship launches from somwhere right in front of us. Men with jackhammers work on the street outside our limo’s windows.

Seems like every knows what we did. :smiley:

Well, anyways, Tommy leans closer to me and whispers…"