Survivor: Gabon - Ep. 1 (9/25/08): "Want To See The Elephant Dung?" [SPOILERS LIKELY]

GC wanted to use water that was already boiled to boil again to cook the rice.

Randy’s logic was, since the water is going to be boiled anyway, the lake water might as well be used, which does makes more sense. GC could not grasp this concept. It appeared to me like GC thought Randy was trying to conserve their water supply, which, in a roundabout way, he was, just not in the way GC was thinking.

Hmm … it still sounds funny to me, but I’m a hypochondriac germophobe. I wouldn’t want to use “dirty” water to cook with, even if it IS being boiled again. Like, wouldn’t the yicky things get into the rice?

Well, they’re apparently boiling the water to drink, and they don’t have a filter, so they’re getting the yicky things anyway. Might as well add them to the rice cooking water. Extra protein. I’d boil the water for 5-10 minutes before boiling the rice in it, so the whole thing gets 30 minutes of boiling.

Believe me, there’s yicky things in the water anyway. Where do you think they’re getting their drinking water? The lake. Their drinking water has yicky things in it. They’re sterilized yicky things because it’s been boiled, but they’re still there. Whether they’re drinking it or boiling rice in it is kind of a moot point.

Well, any way you slice it, the water that’s being used is coming from the lake. This includes the tribe’s stash of pre-boiled water. So, no matter what, the “yicky things” are going to be in it, since they have no way of filtering them out.

Couldn’t they just set up some leaves over a boiling pot to make diistilled water? Not that they should because I imagine it’d be hugely inefficient, but I’m just saying that if they wanted to remove the impurities for whatever reason, (cleaning the head wound?), they could.

Note to Self: When packing for Survivor, include at least 150 packets of dehydrated water, a year’s supply of penicillin, and a metric ton of Purell. Oh, and get hepatitis shots.

Wow, that was a fantastic premiere. Does that mean the season as a whole will suck? Because the good seasons rarely start out good. I think I even learned the names of a good portion of these people. Unheard of for this early in the game.

Michelle & Ken: Poor Ken. Although I loved that they kept intercutting his confessional where he professed his love for her with shots of Michelle’s boob hanging out of her bra. And the camel toe blur was priceless. I had to rewind to be sure I saw what I saw. Is this the earliest the hot girl has been eliminated?

Marcus & Charlie: Marcus loves Charlie’s crush (and I agree with Ellis Dee, his comments make me think he’s gay) and he’s going to ride it to the merge. Which is good because I like both of them.

Ace: I give him until Kota’s first Tribal Council. Which may be never, who knows.

Crystal: How can a gold medalist be that inept at running up that hill? And choosing tribemates for that matter.

GC: In way over his head. Will be gone soon or ride the idiot train all the way to the end.

Paloma: Stealth threat. You read it here first.

Bob: Will get dinged around merge-time for being too smart.

Gillian: Thank god she’s gone.

OK, with that said. Bring on Phil on Sunday!

Charlie and his mancrush should have been sitting out the Big Ball challenge. Marcus “popped out” of his boxer briefs during the sprint to the big ball. CBS showed it unpixiliated which I am sure they will be slapped on the wrist

If you got it on DVR, you can clearly see more than CBS really wants you to see. I am sure you can search for screen shots if you are so inclined.

I think I will NOT search for that…

I, on the other hand…

That reminds me of my favorite part of Ken’s confessional. First he explains how he knows that gamers have a nerd sterotype about living in the basement and never seeing the sun, but he’s here to prove that stereotype wrong. The very next thing they show is him saying how he hasn’t kissed a girl since highschool, four years ago.

Greatest editing ever.

And then he trips while talking to Michelle.

Yow… I just got around to skimming the CBS site for the new season. Unless my local CBS affiliate goofed, Michelle’s “final words” weren’t part of the broadcast… but here is the quote from the episode 1 recap:

I’m not really surprised. Losers stick together. Fat people stick together. They decided to keep Gillian, who’s like a hundred and five, and to vote me, who’s twenty-four and completely fit. I mean they’re all idiots. They’re all voting off the strongest member, so it’s going to be interesting to see what happens. Very interesting.

What a charmer! She’ll be missed.

They weren’t. After she was snuffed there was a little caption that said “To see her words, go to CBS.com

But really though, was she wrong? She was the first woman up the hill. She beat out an Olympic gold medalist (albeit they don’t know that). She was definitely the most fit woman there and they kept the batty old woman (who was obviously gone at the next TC anyway).

I think she had every right to be bitter.

Well, point taken. But obviously she could have said pretty much the same thing without being needlessly inflammatory. An earlier confessional was “I just kinda keep thinking why did I get stuck with all these people and the other team’s got all, like, these smart, beautiful people and I’m stuck with these dorks.”

Not that being needlessly inflammatory doesn’t liven up the show. I’m surprised her final words didn’t make the broadcast cut.

She’s slightly right to be bitter, but realistically, the best play would have been to oust Gillian and then her, instead of the other way around. Yes, she’s in good shape, but someone that negative isn’t going to contribute to a team, and that’s what the early game of Survivor is all about.

First of all, welcome back, rockle! Last season wasn’t the same without you.

The Survivor medical team called on the first show–that has to be some kind of record, yes? Anyway, there’s no justice–Jonathan Penner gets taken out of last season with an injury, and a dick like Randy gets to stay? Someone needs to hit him in the head again–and then feed him to the crocodiles!

And you guys are right–Bob looks just like Bill Nye!

I don’t imagine the producers are going to let the wildlife get too close to the contestants (or vice versa)–I mean there’s liability, and there’s liability. Especially with the increased frequency of elephant attacks lately–I’d be curious to know if the producers have the camps surrounded by fires or weapons of whatever.

Thanks! I don’t know whether to be flattered or frightened. :wink:

Okay here’s an equation that I never thought could occur:

Fang=sucky version of Pagong.