Survivor: Philipines Starts Tonight

Not Grant. IIRC, he never actually appeared in a game, just was on the practice squad for a couple of teams. It was Gary Hogeboom, who started a few games for the Dallas Cowboys, among other teams. He was in the league for about 10 years, although mostly injured or as a backup. On Survivor, he looked nothing like an NFL player. He was tall and skinny with gray hair.

Danni, who eventually won the season, outed him. She claimed that she recognized him from his college days. Riiight.

Even if I hadn’t already known she was going to be playing, I would have recognized her off the bat. And I think I only watched the show maybe a half dozen times?

Him? Heard of him, but that was it. Wouldn’t know him if I’d tripped over him.

IIRC correctly she’s an evangelical Christian who does speaking tours and has written a couple of parenting books. Frankly, I’m shocked she actually got on the show because Survivor, in its purest form, is the complete antithesis of her offscreen life. Given that, I’m not surprised she’s covering up. I’d expect her to, even if it looks strange by Survivor standards.

Even if I hadn’t known they were going to be on the show, I would have recognized both of them instantly. I watched the show on occasion and am a fan of the NLWest. Not hard at all.

My prediction is that Russell goes next. His team hates him already.

And why not? He says he understands that being a leader is often a bad strategy, but is unable to prevent himself from grabbing that role at every possible opportunity.

That wouldn’t necessarily be a problem, except he did an extremely bad job of “leading” when he assigned roles in the challenge – so bad that they lost the challenge.

Yup, his strength is an advantage – but the downside is significant.

IMO, Russell’s team did not lose the challenge because the Russell/Zane ran and the two young girls did the puzzle.

They lost the challenge because of the 2nd leg (in the water). By the time the sex therapist and Micronesia Man (Malcolm) came back with the puzzle pieces, the other teams had already done half the puzzle (which was not a complicated puzzle). I think Russell’s team would have lost no matter what the assignments were.

Penners team won because they did the water task the best.

Well, then, someone else should have taken the second leg. Again, however he made the assignments, and whichever leg was done by process of elimination, he did not make good assignments. Since the 2nd leg was crucial, the strongest players should have been on it – including Russell. Since he instead assigned himself the first leg…

Strong swimmers were needed for the water part. Russell may not be a strong swimmer.

I think they were doomed to lose that challenge.

If the next challenge is a physical one. “Russell’s team” may do well. They were dealt quite a handicap when they ended up with one guy who was both a lard ass and brain dead. As we saw, he couldn’t run, he probably would have drowned if he had to swim, and certainly he’s still be there wondering what to do first if he had been a puzzle solver. That team is much stronger with him gone.

Interestingly enough she finalized her divorce 9 days before heading out to start the competition.

I’d have recognized her as quickly as Skupin. I could not have resisted for a second. I would have shouted “I’ve just had another one of my Brilllllllllliant ideas,” just to see her reaction…