Survivor: Philipines Starts Tonight

I may not have recognized him, but I sure as hell would have said “damn that guy looks a hell of a lot like Jeff Kent”.

Now Gary Hogeboom; that was some bullshit.

Add me to the list who probably would have wandered around saying, “Damn he looks familiar.” Maybe hearing his name ‘Jeff’ would trigger it for me but probably not.

Amen.

Wasn’t Supkin the great hunter on Season 2? I recall controversy when they killed a piglet or some animal and butchered it. I think that was Supkin’s bright idea. Falling in that fire was karma big time. That pig suffered because they didn’t have a proper weapon to kill it quickly.

I hope they keep Supkin under control this season. I’m pretty sure Survivor banned killing the local animals awhile ago.

I always blamed Survivor for Supkin’s injury. They had a junk food prize after a challenge. Supkin’s tribe was drinking soda and eating twinkies, candy etc. on empty stomachs. Later he blacked out and fell in the fire that he had just started. If you’ve been starving for ten days then a sugar rush could be dangerous. Its just my opinion, but it makes sense to me.

2001 Article about Supkin and the pig.
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/Campfire-accident-pushes-contestant-off-Survivor-2002790.php

Except that they had already made fire on their own.

Gone now, apparently unsubstanciatated.

I liked the 3 tribes setup this time around. I really picked up on the different people and their alliances much easier this time around. Names will come with time, but right now I don’t think there’s a really absent character. Much more important, I don’t think there’s anyone who’s really hate-able right now. (Though RC could be one)
Maybe it doesn’t hurt that I already knew 5 of the 18 before the show started.

Agree on the players being more sort-out-able. Sometimes it seemed like you had three interchangeable 20ish cute blondes on a tribe.

I was keeping track, and I think we got private interviews from everyone except one black guy. Not bad for just a single episode.

BTW, I knew Zane was going right away. At the start they did three little featurettes on players: The baseball guy, the actress, and Mr. Nobody Ever Heard Of aka Red Shirt #1.

so there were 3 returnees and 2 celebrities or did I miss a celeb? Seems for balance they would have 3 celebs.

Lisa Whelchel looks to have a melt down next week but I am sure it is a red herring.

Or…the producers could have figured out that we’ve figured out that the promos are always deceiving and this time really put in what is happening, figuring we’ll assume that it’s a deception.

Now the herring is purple.

I kinda wanted Zane to stick around, just because he reminded me of Landry from Friday Night Lights.

Also, I’m better that the three tribes become 2 within the next few episodes. Maybe have a challenge where the losing tribe gets divided up.

nitpick: Skupin

Zane was just too weird for me to want to watch.

I think the only way they’d dissolve a tribe early is if they lose 3 challenges (half their strength). Then it would make sense.

I haven’t been following the game consistently enough to know this, but there’s something I’ve been wondering: Anybody have any idea how consistently the immunity idol has helped people? I’ve only seen it work exactly as intended once (the astronaut). Every other time, it becomes a HUGE FREAKING DEAL and somebody gets voted off just because they think he’s got it, or he gets voted off because he does have it and is too stupid to play it. It seems like the car curse, sometimes…

Tell that to the Philly Girl from the Little Tribe that Couldn’t in the season with Dolphin Boy. Her tribe got down to just herself before the merge.

What makes you think that’s not working exactly as intended (by the producers)?

Oh, sure, it’s there to make more drama and a more interesting game, but it’s always advertised as “use this to make sure you don’t get voted off.” In the shows I’ve seen, it usually seems to work the opposite: finding it (or even spending a lot of time looking for it) is a death warrant.

I don’t think that’s close to accurate. In fact, the person finding it almost always makes it pretty far if not to the end of the game. Most of the recent winners either had an idol or someone in their alliance did, including last season.

Just rewatched the episode. The guy that I disliked the most (but probably most entertaining) got voted out first. Just one weird Guy.

I would have never recognize Child star and I watched the show, occasionally. I would not have recognized the baseball player.

IIRC, The only two people that did not get a confessional is the black guy on Skupkin tribe and the young blond guy on Penner’s tribe.

Penner’s Beach seemed to be awesome, with a lagoon.

I don’t know why anyone would come on the show (and claim to be an uber-fan) and be afraid to get into skivvies in the water. (Hello Blair).

I wonder if Jeff Kent introduced himself as Jeff Kent. I can see a casual fan recognizing the name, more than the face, and then putting two and two together. I suspect that Lisa used her married name rather than her stage name.

I guess the other athlete that you are thinking of is Grant, who was in the last one with Boston Rob? He was an NFLer, but not well known, and barely played.

Other pseudo celebs was Eddie George’ wife in Brazil, and Crystal, the Olympic Track Gold Medalist who was a total klutz in challenges and even Ethan Zohn was a pro soccer player.

Crystal is the one that yelled her voting confessional, one of the best tribal councils in Survivor history, the same night that Randy played a fake hidden immunity idol.