Swarming Birds

Every fall I see great masses of birds in my area swarming through the skies, in seemingly random patterns. Why? And, do most birds in the northeast actually migrate for the winter?

Birds don’t recognize political boundaries. Many of them move toward warmer climates in the winter, and then to cooler climates in the summer. Thus, many birds I may think of as “North American Natives” might be thought of as a local species by a Central or South American person.

On the other hand, feathers are pretty good insulation–birds come with their own down vests. So many species of birds don’t migrate, but live in the same area year round.

Does this address your question at all?

[ul][QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Fiddle Peghead *
[sup]Every fall I see great masses of birds in my area swarming through the skies, in seemingly random patterns.[/sup]
[/Quote]

They are getting into groups and heading south. Most birds do not fly in formations like geese do.

See answers #1 & #2

Yes, because it is cold in the northeast and hard to find something to eat when it snows.[/ul]

Q. Why do birds assemble in huge swirling flocks in NYC in the fall?

A. They are getting ready to fly south for the winter.

Q. Do most birds in the northeast actually migrate for the winter?

A. Depending on the species and on the weather, they either will or won’t go. Some species, like starlings, being omnivorous and accomplished scavengers, may remain in town all winter during a fairly mild winter, pooping on cars from their communal evening roosts in shopping center trees. Some species, like swallows, being insectivorous, depart en masse, as there aren’t many insects around during a New England winter, even a mild one.

[ul][sup]**UGH! Starlings There must not be many mild winters in the Northeast because those damn birds are a menace down here. They come around my house all winter feeding in large flocks. The menace is if there are a lot of cedar trees close by, because that is where they roost. There was a subdivision close to my plant in Tupelo with many cedar trees. It was amazing how many starlings would be in the sky at sunset. The residents tried shooting them to no avail and finally the city had to come in and cut down all the cedars in sight.[/sup][/ul]