Swimming with Sharks a comedy?

I was in my local Blockbuster the other day and I saw they had finally put Swimming with Sharks on DVD. What stunned me is that the film was in the Comedy section. I remember the tape being there too, and this just amazes me.

I can’t remember a single moment in that film where I laughed. If its a comedy its the blackest comedy I’ve ever heard of.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the film was fantastic and its probably in my top 20 if not 10. I just don’t think the label of comedy is appropriate to it.

In my opinion, “comedy” is the only really true category for the film. Yeah, it’s pretty dark – code for what sensitive people call “cruel” and “mean” – but it’s still a comedy. It’s not the kind you laugh at, though: It’s the kind you stare at, thinking, I can’t believe they’re doing this.

The paper cut scene… shudder

Maybe I’m just a freak, but I remember laughing…

Yeah, I was laughing quite a bit, too.

Of course, I’ve seen Blockbuster make plenty of seriously questionable category choices.

Yeah, I think I remember seeing “Edward Scissorhands” as a comedy once when I was there. What WERE they thinking?

I once saw 1984 in the Romance section.

Really!

I did laugh on certain scenes… such as when Kevin Spacey was imitating the robot toy with arm motions and everything when he wouldn’t let Guy use the restroom. To come to think of it, I’m not sure what was so funny about it… I do remember rewinding and watching it quite a few times though. And earlier, he said something like, “if you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn’t bother flushing you”. I love that line.