Switching Parties After an Election

I don’t have a problem with elected officials who switch parties because the national party is going in a direction that no longer reflects their values or their position on the issues, but switching parties just long enough to win an election and then switching back feels like pure opportunism. (It also deprives the voters of a meaningful choice if their only options are a Republican and a fake, temporary Democrat who will become a Republican as soon as elected.)

If the Democratic voters of West Virginia were willing to vote for a guy who switched just to get nominated, then they deserve what they are getting for their votes.

Yes. Earlier, I said it didn’t bother me so much and that was before I heard that he was such a quick change artist. Knowing that, I have to wonder how anyone can complain. Caveat emptor.

the lefties on HuffPo were crying about this yesterday in the comments.

But for some reason, none of them had a problem with it when Arlen Specter did the same thing as Senator from PA, only in the opposite direction.

Impressive. What else can you remember from the HuffPo comment section 9 years ago?

Which also shouldn’t be done. That’s why I think it’s ridiculous that people say that impeachment should only be for crimes. No, it should be any time the official does not fulfill the promises upon which they were elected.

In this case, it seems the guy just switches around a lot. So then the Democrats should have been smart enough not to spend too much money on him. Still, I have no problem with them running campaigns about how dishonest he is.

It’s not a loyalty thing. It’s that the D next to your name means something about your policies inherently.

Plus anyone who would switch to R at this time in history is just shit. Why switch to the party of Trump? Sure, if you were already a Republican, it makes sense to stay there and try to get your party back. But to change right now?

It says pretty bad things about this guy. Especially since he apparently had just met with Trump. Throw in the Russia problem, and this guy looks corrupt as fuck.

I suppose the point is, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

And as others have said, a senator switching parties is far more impactful (given the way the caucuses work) than a governor.

So, like, always? Obama should have been impeached?

Seems like your standard is a tad stringent, given the quality of our elected officials.

I can’t be a hypocrite, because I was happy when Jim Jeffords changed the balance of power in the Senate when he changed from Republican to an independent and caucused with the Democrats. I’m also quite aware that Angus King, independent, would have crossed the line to be with the Republicans if it would have meant the balance of power.

Still, this governor of West Virginia seems to be opportunistic slime. West Virginia is a state of beauty but it is such a taker state that I get frustrated with it. Those coal jobs aren’t coming back, so look forward, please.

West Virginia slowly and steadily shifting from Democrat to Republican. Governor Jim Justice switches to Republican.

Way to go!

As he said, referring to our President, “This man and myself aren’t politicians. We ran to get something done. We ran and gave up part of our lives. We ran because we want nothing.”

That is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve heard a politician say this week. “We ran because we want nothing.” If you don’t want anything you don’t run for office, moron.

I was talking to a friend who grew up in W.Va. the other day, after he returned from a visit home. He’s a dyed-in-the-wool bleeding heart liberal plaintiffs’ trial attorney whose dad and grandpa were coal miners. He said, “I fucking hate Trump, but I’ll say this - I’ve never seen the coal trucks so busy.”

On the other hand, Justice’s switch now appears to be a nakedly transparent ploy to drum up more federal subsidies for his [del]own coal businesses[/del] state’s struggling industry.

There are a number of conservatives that don’t see Washington gridlock as the horror that many on the Left seem to view it as.

Along the same vein, I don’t begrudge Bernie Sanders for running for president as a Democrat and then returning to Washington as an independent senator.

But this was said by a governor. How many Republicans want gridlock in their own state capitol?

Organizations like the Democratic Governors’ Association shouldn’t choose who to support, and by how much, based only on the letter they choose to hang after their name, and if they do, that’s the organization’s own fault. They could perfectly well have said “Even though you call yourself a Democrat, your policies don’t align well enough with ours to put much priority on getting you elected”.

Alternately, they could have also said “Well, you’re a lot more like a Republican than you are like one of us, but you’re also probably about as liberal as we can hope for in a state like West Virginia, and so we’ll throw you some funding anyway so you can defeat that guy who’s even worse”.

Either one of those is a rational choice, and neither depends on the official party label of the politician. Justice’s official change of affiliation isn’t really a big deal. Now, if his actual policies change, then that might be a big deal, but that’s up to the voters of West Virginia to decide what to do about that.

Reagan changed from Dem to Republican. McCain is more liberal then many Republicans. And Trump is a Democrat in Republican clothing.

Justice swiching to Republican is his public support for Trump. There are still a lot of coal miners in WV. Clinton blew it by promising to kill their jobs.

I don’t particularly mind it most of the time.

The right to change parties should be fundamental. If the DGA wasted a million dollars to elect this right-winger that’s their mistake. Or not — maybe he’s less of a right-winger than the other guy.

I’ve lost track of how many new Constitutions Thailand has had in recent decades but there was a “People’s Constitution” in 1997 that was widely celebrated. My criticism of it fell on deaf ears. I was especially critical of the provision that an M.P. who loses his party affiliation also loses his seat in Parliament. (“Sir, I need to vote my conscience.” “Fine, you’re out of the party, out of Parliament. Time for a by-election in your district.”) The rule was especially bad since many political parties were run as the personal fiefs of crime bosses.

Trump’s margin of victory in WV was second only to Wyoming. There was nothing for Clinton to blow.

The world is moving away from coal. The only thing that’s kept coal power alive this long has been its advantage in cost. But even that is going away. There’s nothing to save. Those jobs ain’t coming back, no matter who you put in office.

My grandparents moved away from WV in 1965, moving to Daytona Beach, FL, and they always said the best thing that could happen to WV was for the coal industry to die. They HATED it.

Coal is certainly dying off. We’re moving to cleaner fuels, you can’t deny that, but you still don’t say to WV coal people, “we’re going to put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business”.

Great bedside manner there.

ETA: I understand the context in which she said that, but still, it was a bad move.