Syringes in a vehicle

My gramma’s dog is a bit neurotic, and it’s better for everyone involved if she gets her allergy shots at home instead of taking her to the clinic for them. On the occasions that I have taken her, she spent the next couple days moping around, not eating, pottying in the hall, and giving me the evil eye.

I’m not the only one either - dozens of our clients get their pets’ allergy shots dispensed instead of bringing their pet to the clinic.

My question here is: What would likely happen if I got pulled over with Libby’s allergy shot sitting right there in plain sight on the front seat of the car?

Is the average officer going to believe that it’s a shot for an animal, or would they assume it was drugs and haul me off right then and there, asking questions later?

Wouldn’t the fact that I obviously made no attempt to hide the syringe add credit to my claim?

Should I start hiding the syringe in the glove compartment or something? On the off chance that an officer wants to search my car, wouldn’t finding a full syringe that appeared to have been stashed away on purpose raise even more suspicion?

Doesn’t the clinic give you some sort of paperwork as to when you got the syringe, what’s in it and what for?
Such documentation should be adequate to avoid problems with the law!

Small town, small, simple clinic, so…no. Nothing of the sort, and come to think of it, I’ve never seen that done, or even heard him mention anything like that. People who get things dispensed in syringes just take the shot and go, I’ve never even heard anyone ask for anything like that.

I would bring that up at work, but Doc is 83 years old, stubborn, and frustratingly set in his ways, and a new idea like that would likely get met with a “Oh don’t worry about that grumble grumble” response. (I have many more complaints about that man, but this isn’t the time nor the thread.)

Syringes are not a prescription item in Kansas unless the law has changed in the last 10 years, and I do not believe it has. I know this because I bought them every month when I did not have health insurance. Therefore there is no real legal driver for a cop to give you grief for simply possessing a syringe, or ten crates of them, unless they simply want to just harass you.

Really, your question can’t be factually answered any more than that, as in Kansas whether or not a police officer chooses to harass you over legally carrying your legal item is something up to that officer and the circumstances. I’ve carried and openly used my syringes for decades and never had any real trouble 99.999% of the time, in 40+ States and I can’t remember how many countries. Then again, I also had a TSA “officer” scream at me that even though I had two signed notes from different doctors, that carrying syringes onto a plane was “illegal” and he would have me arrested if I kept arguing with him. :rolleyes:

The police can’t search your glove compartment without your permission, so I’d keep them there and just not mention them. Even though it’s perfectly legal for you to have them, it’s one less thing to answer questions about if you get pulled over. Based solely on what I read in he papers, enough people seem to get pulled over with blatantly illegal items laying in plain view that I don’t think you’ll win any points in the cop’s eyes because you didn’t make any attempt to hide the syringes. If anything, having the syringes out in plain view may look suspicious enough to warrant a full search of your car without your permission (lawyers or LEOs feel free to correct me on this).

Personally, I’d put them in the glove compartment just to avoid the increased possibility of someone trying to break into the car to steal them if I had to stop anywhere on the way home.

Correction: generally can’t

Anecdote.

A few years back I dated a girl whose father was insulin dependant diabetic. Every month, she and I would hit Wal-Mart to buy his months supply of syringes. Fortunately, she’d been doing it long enough that the lady in the pharmacy didn’t think twice about selling all those needles to a couple of 19 year olds, though I was always bemused when we made the transaction…hey, I was young and easy to entertain.

However, we were once stopped by a Texas state trooper whom we didn’t know, and the situation quickly turned into a “I’m going to write you a citation for drug paraphanalia” thing.

Now, a few years earlier, I’d gotten into hand rolling my Bugler tobacco (Pulp Fiction was the inspiration) and always had a supply of papers on hand. On repeated occasions I was threatened with the same citation: paraphanalia. God only knows what they’d have done if I’d bought a bong.

Neither of us ever got a ticket, mainly because we were clean cut, driving a nice vehicle, and not the heroin/weed poster children. It was, however, a hassle that one would naturally want to avoid. Legally I think you’re fine, but I’d make an effort to keep the stuff out of direct sight.

My suggestion is to keep these items in the trunk. Much harder to perform a lawful search of the trunk than the passenger compartment or glove compartment.
Also, if possible, keep a photocopy of any doctor’s orders related to the medicine in question in the container associated with the items.

My suggestion is to keep these items in the trunk. Much harder to perform a lawful search of the trunk than the passenger compartment or glove compartment.
Also, if possible, keep a photocopy of any doctor’s orders related to the medicine in question in the container associated with the items.

Another anecdote.

A few years back I was on my way home after making a housecall for a friend’s pets. I got pulled over due to some problems with my vehicle that I thought would result in a warning. The cop decided to be a jerk, and wrote me a ticket. Then, he asked about the “stuff” in my car. I had syringes, a few hemostats, and some prescription vials in plain view. I was in jeans and a Tshirt. I have long hair, piercings, tattoos.

I told him that just like in a poker game he would have to pay up to get an explanation for what was in my car. He asked what I meant. I told him that if he arrested me, my lawyer would answer his questions, but I was finished talking. He kept me sitting for a bit, but anytime he asked about the syringes/etc I just said, “ask my attorney”.

He let me go.

Syringes In A Vehicle
If we’re talking sequel to Snakes On A Plane, I’m afraid that title just doesn’t have the same pizzazz.