Systemic Insecticide - Imidacloprid

I’m planning to apply the systemic insecticide Imidacloprid to my trees.

It’s available, labeled for this use, from various manufacturers, e.g.:
Bayer Advanced = 2.94%
Home Depot generic brand = 1.47%

I’m just a bit baffled by the pricing, since these are quite expensive, while a product branded Dominion 2L labeled as a termiticide has the exact same chemical Imidacloprid at ten times the concentration as its only active ingredient.

None of these trees have fruits for human consumption. Am I taking any significant risk using Dominion 2L for my trees (obviously diluted to the same final concentration per the Bayer instructions)? It’s used at extremely low final concentration for trees, so I’m finding it hard to imagine that there could be any impurity that would be present in a large enough quantity to harm the trees. Dominion 2L seems to be used around plants in any case.

Well, if you have any honey bees you may want to read this: Pesticide toxicity to bees - Wikipedia

Both the Bayer and Home Depot products say they’re effective for 12 months, while the Dominion product says three months. I suspect that while they may have the same active ingredient, the formulations are different. If you figure you only need a one-time application to take care of an outbreak, you may not notice the difference, but if you have recurring or continuing outbreaks, the Dominion formulation might be less effective.

Thanks. Most of my trees are conifers, so there will be no impact on bees from systemic application. I do have a crabapple that bees may visit, I’ll check that out. It may be possible to apply it after the flowers are gone, otherwise I’ll find a different solution.

I suspect those times are just a function of the mode of action.

How do you think the formulation might differ? They are both in liquid form. I’m struggling to think of anything other than purity that might differ – and if the Dominion is labeled for use on lawns, it’s hard to see how it could contain any impurity that would be toxic to a tree at the low concentrations that are used.

I’m starting to think that the price difference just based on what the market will bear.

It will (likely) make the pollen and nectar toxic as well. I know this is GQ but I respectfully ask you consider the impact of using broad-spectrum persistent insecticides unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Conifers are wind pollinated. With regard to the flowering tree, as I say I will check out the research, and respect the results. I’m not going to take a default position of not employing a useful product absent evidence of harm, but I will now look into the evidence carefully. I’m grateful that you brought it to my attention.

I don’t know. Water-based vs. oil-based carrier? Different application methods to inhibit drift? Could be anything, could have a practical effect or no effect at all.

I am not a professional. But between the advertised differences and the known effects of neonicotinoids, I’d certainly recommend consulting one.