Take a guess at who Trump will pardon today

I’ve been wondering the same thing. My current theory is that they will be announced at 11:45 am from the airplane en route to wherever he is going.

I’m picturing the CFSG sitting at his desk, snickering about how the MSM will react to his pronouncement, wiping his greasy brow and muttering profane utterances.

That’s what keeps me going.

GAH. I saw an announcement posted elsewhere from the office of the White House Press Secretary that there will be a press conference at 5 a.m. (which would presumably be when the pardons are announced?) before the Trumps depart for Palm Beach at 8 a.m. I went looking for the source and make the mistake of looking at Whitehouse.gov, and now I want to throw up.

I was wondering why they hadn’t been announced yet but it makes sense they will be announced tomorrow to try to distract attention from the inauguration.

He cant. Sirhan was convicted of state charges.

Himself, his family, Rudy Giuliani, nobody else.

Not himself, not his family, and certainly not Rudy.

Not the failed insurrectionists of Jan 6

Lil kim and a bunch of other non-entities.

There was a story in the news saying Joe Exotic has rented a stretch limo outside the prison, apparently expecting a pardon.

It looks like Steve Bannon is going to get a pardon…

Sad Trumpist Sound

If Trump wanted to pull off one more “Screw you!”, he would issue full pardons to Hillary Clinton and maybe Joe Biden. His Trumpettes would have a field day with that move.

Remember, though, that there’s precedent that if a President can intercept a pardon issued by his predecessor before it is delivered to the recipient, it can be reversed (In re De Puy). I can entirely imagine the Federal Marshal or whomever is charged with delivering a pardon to any controversial recipients slow walking the papers to the recipient while keeping their cell phone ringer turned up to max volume.

I suspect that in these modern times “delivered to the recipient” would be the key phrase. Does e-mail count? Does it have to be delivered to the actual person or does his lawyer count? What about FedEx? Lots of questions now that didn’t exist in 1869.

I was able to find a Congressional Research Service (CRS) report from 2016 on the pardon that says, “For a pardon to become legally effective, it appears that a warrant of pardon must be physically delivered to the recipient . . . Under the current DOJ regulations, a warrant of pardon is mailed to the petitioner.”

As I said, I can easily see the bureaucrat to whom Trump hands the pardons setting them in his outbox and waiting for Biden’s folks to tell him how to proceed. Or, Trump being Trump, he may just leave them on his desk himself and assume that all is done.

FUCK.

Carter pardoned all the draft dodgers, who weren’t explicitly named. They couldn’t have delivered pieces of paper to unnamed people.

What if… trump just announces. “Pardons for every single person convicted of a federal crime in the past 19 years. Thank you and goodbye “.

That would guarantee that Senate Republicans would vote to convict him on impeachment and bar him from office in the future.

The DOJ instructions for draft evaders is basically, “If you think this applies to you, let us know and we’ll mail you your pardon.” Since no subsequent President has tried to rescind these pardons, it hasn’t been an issue.

NYT just told me the pardon of Steve Bannon has been issued.