Take off for religious reasons

Wow, talk about the excluded middle. There’s a world of difference between “I’d like these two specific days off in September, please” and the world having to shut down completely on Sundays.

Hey, I totally get it, you live in the real world, growl snarl grumble. I’m sure Alec Baldwin will play you in the movie they will definitely make about you.

But here in Upper Unicorn-Fartland, not everyone needs the same days off. We all pick up the slack for each other, and the people in charge cheerfully recognize that if the work is getting done - and it is, because I’ll cover for the guy down the hall when he can’t be here and he’ll cover for me when I can’t - then there’s really no need to puff out their chests and bluster about how anyone who wants a day off can just hit the bricks, pal, because that’s not how we do it in the real world.

I’m actually not surprised, given the way I think is something I’ve learned through experience-- it’s certainly not something I would have understood coming out of high school. Enough people are either fine with those circumstances or willing to bear them, otherwise it wouldn’t be the case.

However, for me, what I posted still stands. There are just too many opportunities and circumstances I have control of, to think otherwise. If the culture of your business is as you describe, and it works, then it works. I choose to force a balance between the two (quality of life and money), because you cannot get time back. I’d imagine this is even more the case for people who are theistic.

Not really. I freely chose to do it, and the total number of hours I put in came to about 80 in a year. It built good will, and made other people’s lives easier, so they were more inclined to do things for me, like covering stuff for me when the office was open but I wasn’t there, on the Jewish holidays.

We took care of a vulnerable population, and so the job simply couldn’t be left undone, ever.

Oh, I’m sorry, I thought we were talking about people having to miss time on the Sabbath for religious reasons, because of the OP up there on the top of the page. My bad, I shouldn’t have bothered to read it.

Right- that was an example of taking time off for religious reasons, other examples are not precluded by the OP. The OP was more generalized. However, even if we limited it to just taking the sabbath off your hyperbole still excludes the middle- my sabbath might be different than someones else’s so, and other people may not observe any holidays at all, so the world will not cease to function.

My “two days in September” example was referencing the Jewish High Holy days (Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur). I guess that was too obscure.

Time for a factual answer.

Reasonable accommodation, Federal government page. Scroll to fourth item.

Factual, sure, but very vague, loaded with words such as “reasonable” and “minimal”:

I know of one case where someone in the military asked for Halloween off because they were Wiccan. His commander said he could have it but that he’d have to work on Christmas. At that point being off on Halloween became less important. Not sure how serious the question and response really were.

I have an example. I have Friday & Saturday off, because I observe the Sabbath. My employer wanted my to have the same schedule as my supervisor. so they switched me to a day supervisor who had the same schedule as me. To me this is a good way for an employer to weed out people who are really serious about their beliefs, rather than someone who is just angling to get time off. I hate getting up that early, but I deal, because they did make “reasonable accommodation” for me.

Can I ask you, out of genuine curiosity: do you reckon you can do better than the thousands and thousands of very smart people who have touched this issue before you got to it, and the millions of words that have been published defining these terms?

cough three days cough

Nope, not a bit. I was just responding tongue-in-cheek to someone dropping that link into the thread with a “time for some facts,” as if it were going to be bringing much clarity. :slight_smile:

ETA: But having said that, there are other parts of Federal labor law that are far more unambigiously worded than that one. Like the FMLA, for one: “You get _____ amount of time off as long as your company has ____ amount of employees.” Boom. Nothing about “as long as it isn’t more than a minimal inconvenience for your boss.”

Ha. Well, if it’s clarity you want

I think FMLA and religious accommodations are very different things, though. And I think that probably you’d be surprised by how annoyingly nitpicky FMLA questions can get.

Wow. :eek:

I’m lucky if I can fit two days into my schedule. I figure if one day for RH is good enough for Jerusalem, it’s good enough for me!

:slight_smile:

There can be different definitions of “reasonable” depending on the situation, I guess. To get an annoyingly Evangelical Chaplain/Major off my back, I challenged him to get me Kosher c-rations.

Is there not such a thing as kosher c-rats (or MREs, now, I guess)? I’m a bit surprised by that. It seems to me that you could make a vegetarian option that would be compliant with almost all religious dietary restrictions, fairly easily. Might be disappointing if you were a Jew who liked meat, but it would be a reasonable accommodation.

I agree, the “reasonable accommodations” and “minimal burden” is very vague.

I simply used the Sabbath as an example. I was not trying to exclude other faiths or say Judaism is superior in any way (i’m Lutheran, myself). I only used the Sabbath because I figured it was one of the most common days requested off. I was also gonna include Sunday, but since most churches have Morning and Evening services, I figured it would be to easy to work around…

The rule is;
“A fundamental canon of statutory construction is that, unless otherwise defined, words will be interpreted as taking their ordinary, contemporary, common meaning.”

I checked the so termed “Dictionary Act” and there are definitions, but not of “reasonable”, therefore a competent Jurist must find a bag of cases to determine how other courts rule on the “dictionary” meaning and the ruling may be a matter of a personal discretion also.