Tales of Michigan MMP

Good morning!

I’ve never been to Michigan. It sounds beautiful!

We’re having some wonderfully cool weather here. It’s awesome! We’ve opened up the house. I’m sure some neighbors will be by for coffee. They still don’t have power across the street, as far as I can tell. It’s still early.

I should have gotten on here last night for an obligatory durnken pst. We threw a small block party last night for our AC deprived neighbors. It was a lot of fun! We watched football, and ate good food and got a bit inebriated. It was great getting to know our neighbors - we’ve always just been “nod-to” type neighbors. Now we all know each others names! It’s very cool.

Gotta get some more coffee…

ps - My boss called last night to inform me that we have no power at our office building. Oh darn! :wink: My vacation continues…

ETA: Your idea sounds like fun, Bobbio!

Morning, back to work, since I spent the lottery ticket money on beer again.

Hope you feel better, Pie

LiLI, at least Nat isn’t bruising you. [Homer Simpson]I can’t go to work today, my baby beat me up,[/HS]

BBBobbio, can do.

BooFae, we have an English section in our supermarket, don’t y’all have an American section in yours?

Well, talk about taking a bad situation and pulling some good out of it! Vacation, party and new friends!

No, we don’t. Instead we have Chinese, Indian, Thai, South-East Asian, Polish, Russian and East European. And we have one local supermarket that sells peanut butter cups and Oreos.

Does your English section stock Marmite though? Food of champions!

And here’s the perfect addition to this thread:

Roaming Through Michigan c. 1949.

Marmite= IMHO, ick. I found out from Quadqop that it makes a good flavour base for beef things, thought, so I do use it. Unlike him, I don’t make aged cheddar and marmite sandwiches. :slight_smile:

Thanks Athena for the link to that great documentary! I’d forgotten about the cherry orchards and Traverse City–the cherry pies up in that area of Michigan are so very good; if you’re ever there, try to stop at The Cherry Hut in Beulah (Benzie County). A unique place. :slight_smile:

Sleeping Bear Dunes is quite the experience also. Leelenau peninsula is very beautiful; there are a lot of vinyards up there too, I think. The dune buggies nowadays look more like jeeps–they really are fun to ride in! The Silver Lake area in southwestern MI is very big with dune buggy rides.

So many wonderful memories of Michigan - thanks to all who are sharing them; there’s parts of Michigan I don’t know about, like the UP, and it’s beautiful there too! Oh yes, I just remember - my Grandmother used to sing to us what she called the Michigander song, which is an Irving Berlin tune from the movie Easter Parade: “I wanna go back, I wanna go back, back home on the farm, far away from harm, with a milk pail on my arm. I miss the rooster, the one that used to, wake me up at 4 am. Gee I wish I was a kid again, back in old Michigan, back on the farm.” BTW, Judy Garland sung it in Easter Parade.

I’m better and I have Michigan tales to tell, but they’ll have to wait because I’m busy.

Bye!

What did the riff raff say?

When come back, bring… yourself.

[sub]But I don’t deblurf meself at a Starbucks… I’m too cheap[/sub]
I also don’t have a digital camera, I DO have a pic of our street that TH took with his iPhone, though. Ok, I can send you that. When do I do this?
Off to run like the wind! <breaks into song>
Born free! As free as the wind blows!

come on, everybody sing!
:smiley:

Mornin all.

Thus far, work has been more quiet than I expected. That’s good…I think…

[Public Service Announcement] Rubber, even when you think it’s silicone, is not microwavable. [/PSA]

Last night I made some banana muffins for Hawkeyeop to take to work for breakfast this week. (They are very good. I will post recipe from home later.) In the process, I needed to melt some butter. So I stuck the frozen butter in a measuring cup and stuck it in the microwave. 30 seconds later, I look at the glass door of the microwave and see smoke. Ut Oh, this can’t be good. So, I opened the door and plumes of burning rubber smoke filled the air. I quickly closed the door so as not to let all the smoke out at once thus setting off my smoke detectors. I repeated this process for 10-15 minutes. It took much longer than that for the smoke to clear my apartment, but it finally did. All of that because the measuring cup had a rubber handle. Ugh.

Y’know… if someone had told me that being a Mumper would involve homework, I might have reconsidered this whole business. :slight_smile:

Considering that Michigan is practically next door, as far as states go, I’m a little ashamed to admit that I’ve only been twice and haven’t really strayed all that far past Detroit either time.

First time I went on a weekend shopping excursion to Troy with some girlfriends - it’s WAY nicer than Buffalo, IMO. Second time was for a friend’s wedding in Chelsea (his wife and her family are from the Ann Arbor area). Hopefully I’ll find the time to go for a proper visit someday, rather than dashing across the border, staying a couple of nights, and then dashing back out again.

If anyone needs me, I’ll be hiding under my desk in the hopes that everyone will forget I exist and won’t give me any work to do. I know it’s a futile effort, but I’m gonna try anyways. :slight_smile:

…aaaas freee as the graaaasss grows, born freee to follow your hearrrrt!

Good morning! I woke up to the lovely headline on HuffPo–BLACK MONDAY! That’ll get your eyes open…

I’m up early because I was so wiped out yesterday that I fell asleep on the couch at 9 or 10. So I’m coffeeing up preparatory to doing The Wedding Saga on LiveJournal with pix and I will link to it as soon as I’m done. My pics with the new camera turned out quite well, especially once I got rid of all the red eye. Too many people with hallucinatory blue eyes around! My ex, the kids’ dad, is the worst–aquamarine eyes, very trippy. My new grandchild is second worst–couple of the pics looked like a miniature demon had infested the child. But more of that later!

Great idea, Bobbio, I will comb through my existing pics and take some more, since I have a spiffy new 8.2 megapixel digicam, w00t!

Re the OP, I have only flown over Michigan–I’m sure it’s lovely but we have fabulous forests here in the Pacific Northwest and I know I absolutely could NOT cope with all that snow! Y’all may keep it and be welcome to it!

LOUNE: He says, "It’s astounding Time is… fleeting Madness… takes its toll. But listen closely… " :stuck_out_tongue:

The magic date is after I post the next MMP. Starbucks optional.
Tightwad.

All you Michiganderians (?) might be interested in The Michigan Feud. Come play!

I have never been to Michigan. But just the thought of it makes my feeties cold. I am sure it is very beautiful and I will love watching the filum on my HD TV. :smiley:

Talked to my brother on Saturday. In case ya don’t remember, he lives in Houston but got sent to Dallas to man the evacuation offices for Atmos Energy. He had talked to his neighbor and found out that his house survived in pretty good shape except for losing a roof tile and subsequent water damage. All in all, it could be a lot worse. Good neighbor is going to try to replace the tile or patch the roof somehow. Bro will be staying in Dallas until the offices in Houston have power.

I have not gone back to the old MMP so I don’t know if anyone has heard how rebo fared?

Tupug

Am back from running. All I can say is that IF Elsie had been chasing me, I’d have been her breakfast. Gah.

And just how do you know FOR SURE he hasn’t been infested? Hmmm? We want pics!

Off to hospital to give up several phials (vials?) of blood. And then back to hospital later for bone density scan. Blood work must be NPO (nothing by mouth–nil per os), scan I can eat for. It’s outpt diagnostic day here! Please celebrate appropriately.

Howdy ya’ll.

Now that I’m all postable again I can astound and amaze you with my gems of wisdom. Well, at the very least I can post again.

I got nothin’ interesting at all. Been working, schooling, working, and schooling some more.

Haven’t read anything yet, will after I respond.

For I, too, am an ex-Michigander.

I emigrated from India in 1979. I was born in 1974, to an unwed mother, and my aunt, who was wedded and couldn’t have children, decided to adopt me. They lived in Michigan. I spent a good many years growing up in Warren, MI, though we moved a LOT. After GM basically went belly-up - OK, began its decline - we started moving around even more, leaving the State.

Warren is just at the base of the Thumb, west of Detroit. I remember Hear (Hart?) Plaza, and this great fountain. I remember going to faires at Hart Plaza and having a good time. I remember going to school and crossing Dequinder Road, with a crossing guard - it was a huge road.

There were a lot of Muslims in MI so I spent a good deal of my formative years with them. We had a “Doctor Uncle”, a wonderfully kind Muslim guy who loved children - he had four of his own - and he was filthy freaking rich. He was the only man I ever knew who actually had a decorative crystal chess set. And he never minded kids playing with his stuff.

His daughters were much older than me but also just as kind and sweet.

I used to go to his neighborhood for Halloween, since he never minded and the rich neighborhood gave a lot. I was an only child, so I didn’t really have anyone to go to.

I was kind of depressed when the girls grew up to marry Pakistani boys straight off the boat from Pakistan. It’s not my country, so I won’t say much, but they were such modern girls I wasn’t sure even then how they could possibly be happy.

Those are my memories of MI. I have more, but they mainly concern snow. :smack: