Tales of White Privilege

well, A would be immediately fair but I worry about brown guys.

B should eventually lead to better police behavior for all - if not we are all equally screwed.

I think you’re right about this. It may be a fundamental of human psychology.

As for my own experiences with white privilege, I’d say the fact that I’ve walked through hundreds of stores over the years without ever being followed around by a staff member, probably qualifies.

That is some serious bullshit. He should have been busted by the first cops.

John T. wrote: "So I look at my app and note it’s going to a section of town with million-$ houses. Get the guy in my car, the cops tell me to take him home, and we’re off.

… Not 30 seconds out, the man says “We’re not going home, I want to go downtown.”

Well, I take him downtown - can’t do otherwise right, else it’s kidnapping. "

You could argue that since the cops told you to take him home, that by doing so, even against his express wishes, you’re acting under, forgive the expression, color of authority. After all, he couldn’t accuse the cops of kidnapping if they arrested him.

I volunteer in a group that circulates around 40 people. Occasionally I will be the only white person in a group of say 8 people. I am always put on the register. I argue that someone else should learn how to use the register. No way, they don’t want to handle money. If they knew how many mistakes I make I am sure they would kick me to the curb. I am never questioned or asked why something costs that amount. Because I am white and courteous (usually) it’s accepted I know what I am doing. They are so wrong.

White privilege isn’t generally about getting some special favor. It’s about things that don’t happen. It’s about going into a store and not having a security guard follow you around. It’s about walking down the street and not have strangers cross over to the other side of the street. It’s about driving through a small town and not getting pulled over by the police. It’s about not having people express surprise when you mention that you have a job or a high school diploma or a husband. It’s about not being routinely mistaken for some other white person who doesn’t look anything like you. It’s about having a police officer approach you and not wondering if you’re going to survive the encounter. These are things that white people all take for granted as just their normal life but black people don’t.

Nothing to add – just wanted to say, great thread! Thanks to all.
I am as privileged as they come…so many things I’ve taken for granted over the years.

This board is going to shit. Or does that make me a racist?

Bingo.

Once when I was young, I got followed around in a clothing store because I didn’t look sufficiently affluent to afford the merchandise. It was disturbing and embarrassing and made me feel rotten.

But I’m white. And it’s only happened once to me. I can’t imagine how black folks cope with it happening over and over and over again.

I won’t get into specifics but fair to say I did my fair share of young, immature, stupid shit when I was in high school and college. I know enough to know that whites are allowed to get shit out of their system, whereas blacks are criminalized from early childhood.

Depends. *Why *do you think it’s going to shit?

It’s all those losers from Filthadelphia. Any time something goes to shit it’s because of people from Filthadelphia.

African Americans Have Higher Risks of Stroke
Fatal First Heart Attacks More Common in Blacks
Why Is Hypertension More Common in African Americans?
Stress And Poverty May Explain High Rates Of Dementia In African-Americans

I remember the first time I went down to pay my taxes, I was so sincere, with my tax forms and bankbook. Of course dad had forgotten to tell me that we whites only pretend to pay taxes. But the woman behind the desk took me aside and explained it all. Then we shared a cup of black baby blood, and went out for icecream.

So, like I said, I have what is called a professional demeanor and look. I prefer long-sleeved, button down shirts, khaki’s/slacks, etc, kinda look like Bill Gates, etc.

Being mistaken for the boss is so common it barely registers. Bookstores. Grocery stores. Lowes. Home Depot. Insurance agencies. Restaurants.

“Excuse me, sir, can you help me…”
“I want to talk to you about one of your employees…”
“I just wanted to say I really enjoy your store.”
“I have a complaint and you look like the man I need to speak to…”

Now, again, part of this is inherent in how I present myself, so there is likely some classism present… after all, if I had a gun tattooed to my face, nobody would think I’m the boss of anything.

But as this has been going on for over thirty years, in Atlanta, Knoxville, San Antonio, and points in between… the time I was interrupted with an “excuse me, professor” while in a Boston Borders (who knows what school they thought I represented (obviously Hahvahd or MIT :wink: ))… that glasses and long-sleeved shirts aren’t the only reasons this happens.

The other day, I rolled through a stop sign. Immediately after doing so, I look up in my rear view mirror and see there is a cop behind me.

I thought to myself “Shit! That was stupid of me.”

And after about 30 seconds when I realized he wasn’t going to pull me over, I thought to myself: “Whew! It’s good to be white!”

You guys are hilarious. And a little late to the party.

Probably not the compliment you think. “Professor” is also a term used around here for smart-ass holier than though types.

True. And while I give no ground on the ability to be a holier than thou smart ass (note the correct spelling ( :stuck_out_tongue: )), I was merely browsing Borders.

Maybe they thought I was the sole book reader on their minor league team. Maybe they thought I was Greg Maddux. Yeah, that’s it - I was mistaken for 4-time Cy Young winner Greg Maddux. :wink:

I shot a black guy for making eye contact with me, and I got five thousand airline miles on my credit card.

Regards,
Shodan