Tales of White Privilege

You’re a little late to the party.

White people don’t have to put any effort into comedy but other white people will still laugh and give them money. How else can you explain Pauly Shore, Adam Sandler and Larry the Cable Guy?

ETA: Or Shodan?

Seriously, give Barmy credit for being hip to cutting-edge pop culture you guys.

Don’t be so jealous. I’m sure you occasionally post something worthwhile.

I would certainly hope not.

I’m not late; I’m running on Wypipo’s Time.

I don’t knoiw what’s supposed to be so hilarious about “The Uploader Has Not MAde This Video Available In Your Country”. I guess all comedy is not universal.

It’s the way they tell it.

Yahtzee.

I frequently shop in “the poor side of town”. I always know I’m going to get attitude and shite service but it’s what I can afford. It serves as a good reminder of what many black people go through all the damn time and is a quick effective, lesson for anyone who denies the concept of WP.

Ugh. Don’t get me started on American privilege.

One of the biggest parts of white privilege is that you get to understand jokes like that.

I have worked for very small businesses most of my life. They ate kind of places that employ between 5 and 15 people at any given time. Most of them were at sales agencies that did business in the design and architectural industries.

These companies did not have things like HR departments or company rulebooks. I never knew any of these companies to place a help wanted ad. Employment was all “friends and family” based, usually our hires would be a family member or friend of a customer or associate that was looking for work.

Employment wasn’t even based on filling job openings. It was more like the employees were hired based on affinity or as a straight-up favor, and the work structure of the company kind of molded itself to fit he employees.

I can’t count the number of times I was told - if you want a change, or need work, give us a call and we’ll always find something for you. And that what I did whenever I needed a job. I haven’t written a formal resume since I was 25 (35 years ago).

Needless to say, these places were very white. And I imagine there are a lot of very small businesses like this all over the country. None of my employers were trying to be discriminatory, the were all fairly liberal and would’ve chaffed at the suggestion. It was mostly just that there was no HR, the bosses didn’t have the time and inclination to place ads and conduct a time-consuming series of interviews - especially for the low level positions. And you could curry some favor and boost sales if you hired your customers kids.

But when you add it all up, it means there are huge swathes of the job market that aren’t accessible to people of color.

And I used to think conservatives had no sense of humor. It turns out that they do, as long as you give them an opportunity to josh about killing black people. Ignorance fought.

You know, if nobody has ever mistaken you as an authority figure, it’s OK, man. Perhaps you’re just not doing the “white in America” thing correctly.

They got paid for their work - by the white people who made it possible in the first place.

Well, the slaves didn’t. And the rest got subsistence wages, if that. But don’t try to sugar-coat what you are presenting as the poor, colored immigrant masses building this country. That they did not. It was white people exploiting them that built this country, and remain doing so today. The only contemporary difference is blurring of the color lines and anybody is liable to be exploited for their labor or just about anything else the greedy bastards can come up with.

One of my closest coworkers in the US worked in a factory my company acquired. He’d been stuck as a process engineer because to get a promotion you needed to hobnob with the factory manager, and that meant becoming a member of his country club, and the country club’s membership glowed in the dark and worshiped Protestant. He was Protestant himself but definitely black, and none of his coworkers was about to risk drawing too much attention to himself by inviting someone so… strikingly different to lunch.

I’ve often seen networking/bosskissing advice which included “join his clubs” or “join his church”. Given that those tend to segregate (not necessarily on purpose), those may be useful strategies for people who can take advantage of them, but they are unlikely to encourage diversity.

I’m sorry, but if you want us to have any idea what you’re saying, you’re just going to have to say whatever that word is; there’s really no way around it at all.

“Papa” John Schnatter was recently ousted from his eponymous pizza chain for a pattern of problematic and racist behavior and language, including the line to which T2BC was referring.

Me too!!

Washington County? Jefferson? Lincoln County?

Yeah, but what if I WANT to be dangerous? Have people get out of my way, be suspicious of me … but no, I walk into a store with my hands in my pockets and my hood up, looking angry: “Good morning, Non-Threatening Whitey, welcome to Walgreen’s. Wet weather today, huh?” And when I leave the store with my lunch bag under my coat, no one thinks I’m shoplifting: “Buh-bye, Harmless Ol’ Cracker. Have a nice day.”

Yeah, that wouldn’t happen if you were a Stranger…