Talking SDMB with the Uninitiated

Sometimes a topic on this thing will be so interesting that I have to discuss it in real life. It’s a little strange to say things like,

*“And then PurpleCrackwhore said…”

“And Satan retorted…”

“And I thought that Imthecowgodmoo was just so wrong…”*

Just wanted to let y’all know how interesting my conversations have become, all thanks to you.

I’ve begun avoiding the subject with my grandmother. It just confuses her.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, dogs are from Pluto.

I can hear granny saying… Are you still drinking deary?

I am me… accept it or not.

Most of these bizarre screen names are, IMHO, the result of eating eggs and drinking milk.

“Vandelay!! Say Vandelay!!”

I LOVE talking to my friends about Satan over dinner or coffee. I’ll always keep my eyes on the people around us to see if they’re eavesdropping.

[sputtering with laughter]

Oh, yes indeed. Trouble is, I learn so much neat stuff here, and pick up such original viewpoints. It’s tempting to drop the goodies into conversation, but then the tricky part comes: “where did you learn that?”

(said in a tiny voice, “Neurro Trash”, “UncleBeer”, “Flora McFlimsey”…)

Honestly, I don’t know why my friends are getting so bent out of shape! Just because I burbled that maybe Satan could stop by on his Christmas tour…

Veb

Almost, but not quite related:

Sitting in the chat room yesterday, I burst out laughing. Just as my roommate asked me to clean the bathroom sometime this weekend. That caused some confusion…

Question authority–just not mine.

I usually just say “so someone said”…usually I’m trying to explain something funny to my non-computer literate father. This is the man who thinks he’s up on technology cause he has a cell phone! :slight_smile:

You think that is bad, try explaining to your friends and family why you chose the name purplecrackwhore… now there is a real interesting conversation starter.

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I mean, PURPLE? :smiley:

Yer pal,
Satan

BunnyGirl!!! Long time, no see!

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Naw, I have no problem. I tell my sister about people named Satan and Coldfire and orangecakes and she tells me about people named Blade and Sensai and Timberwolf.

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

“I get along well with everybody.” --I.M.F.

Satan… it’s obvious you don’t know me or the purple part of my name wouldn’t be in question, but if you ask the other crackwhore she would prolly tell ya it has something to do with spandex, fishnet stalkings and thigh high boots =)

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

I take the BG approach, or “I was talking to this guy and…”. To my wife I’ll refer to “one of the Dopy people” since she wouldn’t know who is who anyway.